Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > Chit Chat > Player's Lounge
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-06, 11:15 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 258
Default Teens Addicted to Online Poker

See below for three mini-stories about Teens Addicted to Online Poker.
Some teens play Online Poker like its a video game.
Iceberg

http://www.macon.com/mld/inquirer/ne...inquirer_local
Old 02-08-06, 12:10 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen

That might ring a little hollow coming from Surapaneni, 23, revered by many as "the godfather of Penn poker."
Two years ago, he was a Wharton School sophomore with near-perfect grades. But academia was "limiting my earning potential," he said. And so he moved to Las Vegas to play poker full time, largely online.

This is the type of player that I am very afraid to play against. The Dutch Boyds and Thomas Kellers of the world that are absolute geniuses but realize that they can make a ton of money playing poker.

If you guys were as smart as these players would you choose cards over guaranteed success in the workplace?
Old 02-08-06, 01:23 PM
Champion

I think that the stories are interesting. I try to learn from both sides of the spectrum. From people that can make a living from playing poker ---> To the ones that became Wackjobs.

Hmmm,
1) Maxing out Mom and Dad's credit cards is a bad thing.
2) Playing on three computers is a bad thing.
3) Buying a ski mask, when you don't ski, is a very bad thing.

Iceberg.
Old 02-08-06, 07:54 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

Being a teen that plays poker online, I would say that a lot of teens are addicted to online gambling and are quite bad at it. I have been playing poker my whole life, so I have experience as well as discipline to know when to stop. Other teens do not. They don't know the value of a dollar.

It's quite a shame what is happening, learn how to play the game before you play for money. You can't just watch the WSOP once and become a talented player, it takes years of "practice"
Old 02-09-06, 05:25 AM
Champion

You can learn the basic rules using "Play Money", but to actually learn how to play Poker requires real money. I would suggest Micro Limits with friends so that hands can be analyzed right away. Reading a good poker book is invaluable. Then maybe graduate to Online.

I can't stand the online "Play Money" because everyone goes all-in OR calls with BS and hits some cards. Really a waste of time. I'm guessing that the sites are trying to encourage BAD Poker. My $0.02.

Iceberg
Old 02-09-06, 05:13 PM
Bubble

Send a message via AIM to dylan236

Ya many teens get addicted at poker because they see these pro's win all the time, and they say "Hey i can do that!," they lose and they lose and they continue to play and think that eventually they will win there money back, but it doesnt work that way for most. I play the game for fun. It is fun to win some money but i don't get so erious im risking my life with it, theres a line where ou shouldn't cross.
Old 08-02-07, 11:20 AM
Bust

BBP Points: 17
Default Good luck teens and parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSgutshot View Post
Being a teen that plays poker online, I would say that a lot of teens are addicted to online gambling and are quite bad at it. I have been playing poker my whole life, so I have experience as well as discipline to know when to stop. Other teens do not. They don't know the value of a dollar.

It's quite a shame what is happening, learn how to play the game before you play for money. You can't just watch the WSOP once and become a talented player, it takes years of "practice"

The "value of a dollar" is key. I have experience with loosing that value and battling addiction. It helps to talk about it, obviously. It's true that a lot of teen poker players are poor players and don't know it. The poker surge over the years on television and over the internet has made it more appealing to teens and also very accessible. Teenagers don't know the value of a dollar because they don't yet have to pay bills and buy groceries. Good luck to all the parents with teens battling addiction.
Old 02-26-06, 05:44 PM
Bust

I am older than a teen and I am addicted to online poker. I spend a good part of my days and nights when not working or sleeping playing online poker.
Old 03-05-06, 04:10 PM
Bust

I don't think it's only the teens that it's a problem with. Thats just another teenage stereotype that they don't need. Online gambling is a problem more for people who can't afford to play in the firstplace, but they find the money somewhere because they need more money so they figure they will just invest money that they don't really have and win some more. All that happens is they end up losing the money they put on their because they are pretty much on tilt before they even start playing. Then the vicious cycle starts......
Old 03-08-06, 07:56 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 20
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaryja1
I am older than a teen and I am addicted to online poker. I spend a good part of my days and nights when not working or sleeping playing online poker.

me too buddy me toooooo
the wife gets pissed every now and then..