Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > Chit Chat > Player's Lounge
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-06, 02:43 PM
Bust

BBP Points: 0
Default Online Poker Drove Student to Rob Bank

Online Poker Drove Student to Rob Bank

ALLENTOWN, Pa. Somewhere in a hectic schedule that included being president of his Lehigh University sophomore class, playing second-chair cello in the university orchestra and working at the chaplain's office, Greg Hogan developed a secret habit.

Read full article

Last edited by BBP Guru : 01-27-06 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Copying articles not permitted
Old 01-26-06, 04:10 PM
Champion

Wow what a story. I'm suprized a guy going to a school costing 30,000 a year robs a bank over 5,000. Then again I guess mommy and daddy were paying the bills. Either way thats quite a sad story. Good thing I'm too good to lose that much money. Or maybe its b/c I'm too cheap...
Old 01-28-06, 06:01 PM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

Actually I live in Allentown and literally 15 minutes away from this kid's college, Lehigh University. I can't say that I personally know this kid, but being a college student, I know that many college kids play poker and most of them 1. Don't know how to play, 2. Most of them don't know how to manage their money, 3. Don't know when to play. In this kid's case it was all of the above.

It's sad to hear about this kid because Lehigh is a top-notch engineering university, one of the best in the country. He must have been a smart kid to get in there. He just got caught up in the hysteria that is poker.
Old 01-29-06, 04:32 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen

If I could find the article online I'd make a link, but I remember Sports Illustrated had a large article on underage poker players. They interviewed a couple of college players, three of them admitted that they were losing as much from poker as their tuition costs. Two were making a ton of money, but one was a hermit who locked himself in his room to play for at least 8 hours a day and the other was a girl with no friends. On a college campus aren't there guys that just play from time to time and don't try to make a job out of it?
Old 02-04-06, 05:30 PM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 42

This is not just at the college level. I hear a number of students at the h.s. level are also playing. Right now it is just with their peers but it is definitely not uncommon.
Old 02-08-06, 07:57 PM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreen
On a college campus aren't there guys that just play from time to time and don't try to make a job out of it?
That would be me. I don'r even play everyday. I play once in awhile and that's usually only when I I have spare time and nobody's around to do anything.
Old 02-09-06, 05:17 PM
Bubble

Send a message via AIM to dylan236

i agree also, thats a sad yet crazy story. I dn't think i would ever consider robbing a bank unless i was like a million in the hole and it was all i could do. Five-thousand isn't much at all in debt if your goin at a nice college and mommy and daddy is paying the bills like one of you said. Should have just worked it off.

Anyways man they go way to far with poker. People like that don't even seem to like poker as a game they are just was to obsessed with gambling. Something alot of people need to watch.