Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Other Poker Games
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-06, 03:51 PM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 174
Default Royal Holdem

Have any of you seen the new game that ulitimatebet.net has came out with. Its called royal holdem and it is the same as texas holdem execpt they have eliminated all the cards below ten. So it make the hands alot bigger. I still have to play it myself, but I guess it could be a little fun.
Old 02-05-06, 02:11 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen

So you're basically playing with a Pinochle deck, that's awesome. Do you know what kind of limits UB has for this?
Old 02-07-06, 04:12 PM
Banned

BBP Points: 0

How many cards does it use? That would be interesting b/c I would assume they would try to have the total number of cards divisible by 5 (10,J,Q,K,A). Standard pinochle decks use 48 cards with 9,10,J,Q,K,A and some weird card rank.
Old 02-08-06, 04:18 PM
Chip Leader

Send a message via AIM to Yearbookpoker

That's really interesting. I have never played pinochle, but this seems interesting enough to try. I may get around to find out more information on it. Only because I've never had a royal flush before so I want to get my first by sort of a cheatesh way.
Old 02-08-06, 07:52 PM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

This sounds dumb, I want to play poker, not this crap. This is like playing 1 card draw with some buddies, it's fun, but I would not bet a lot of money on it.
Old 04-29-06, 07:34 PM
Bubble

Default I found a good guide to this game, see below:

I am sure this has been covered in detail, but I have played this game with some success (since the players are generally terrible) and just wanted to see if my guidelines are in line with everyone elses ideas.

Preflop:

I figure AA+KK+AK+AQ=23% of hands and is a pretty good starting hand guide. Usually raise AA,KK and AK. AQ is questionable and can be folded early or raised from late. Maybe limp QQ and KQ late or raise it if stealing is a possibility. I prefer AQ to QQ, because domination between 2 non paired hands is much milder in this game (AK is only a 3 to 2 favorite preflop over AQ) than pair over pair (70 to 30 favorite). Also AQ is only a 3 to 2 dog to KK preflop as well and so really only has to worry about AA to be in big trouble preflop. Also of interest is that 2 overs is a slight favorite to a pair preflop in this game.

Flop:

Odds of flopping a set or better with PP = 32%
Odds of flopping 2 pair with unmatched cards = 13%
Odds of flopping trips with unmatched cards = 8%
Odds of flopping full with unmatched cards = 2%
(check these if you like they might be wrong)

Odds of filling up by the river with 2 pair = 48%
Odds of making top full by the river with overpair on a paired flop = 26%

The beauty of this game is a set vs a made straight. In this case the set is a 93 to 7 favorite and all the straights equity comes from split pots when the board makes a straight. To compound matters, a made straight is a bit worse than a 3 to 2 dog to 2 pair and a 51 to 49 dog to ANY 1 pair hand (because they have a gutshot draw to chop). The flopped straight should probably be checked and folded. I think non top pair 1 pair hands can also be checked and folded as well.

Top set is the real nuts and should be played as hard as possible. I often find fools that will cap the flop with the made straight. Lower sets always run the risk of running into Top set but is still only a 3 to 1 dog with 2 to come (mostly coming from chops with a straight on board). This isn't a huge problem if you only play AA and KK since AA usually raises every chance preflop KK is usually in good shape on an AKx flop where you were the only one to raise (against decent opponents occasionally slowing down with AA to generate action against KK in this situation might be a good idea).

2 pair can also be played hard if your opponent will bet and raise with a straight. Top 2 pair is also a very strong hand against anything but top set. It is a 3 to 2 favorite over bottom set and only a 3 to 2 dog against middle set. Against top set it is in huge trouble, but once again, I won't have this problem often since I only play AK and AQ I should know if AA is a real possibility.

On a paired board, the an overpair will usually want to go to the river and try to make top full if the pot odds are there (which they probably will be).

TPTK is a problem for me. Here is another interesting wrinkle, top 2 pair is a slight dog to TPTK. HU TPTK>Top (very close) 2, top 2> bottom set (3 to 2), and TPTK < bottom set (2 to 1). In a 3 way pot top 2 > bottom set > TPTK and TPTK has 20% equity. TPTK you can probably bet and probably call a bet, but is not really good enough to raise.

Turn/River:

Most of the play on this street comes down to whether or not you fill up and how you fill up. If you make the FH that is the nuts bet and raise like crazy. If you make Top FH you have to take quads seriously if you get a ton of action. If you make an under full, you may have to fold or flat call down. This all depends on opponent reads and how they play. You also must be aware of the Royal. I have seen at least one every time I have played.

This works pretty good at a full table against bad players, but SH you probably want to dial up the aggression and be more willing to make marginal calls. If I missed anything really valueable, let me know.

Edit: I used 2dimes with the following dead cards to calculate some odds:
2c 3c 4c 5c 6c 7c 8c 9c 2d 3d 4d 5d 6d 7d 8d 9d 2h 3h 4h 5h 6h 7h 8h 9h 2s 3s 4s 5s 6s 7s 8s 9s. Some I did using combinatorics.