Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Bad Beats?
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-06, 11:58 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 258
Default Slow Play Gone Bad

I was playing at a Live $3-$6 Limit game. In late position, I had A6s and limped in to get in cheap with BB and one other caller. The flop came A62 rainbow and I was salivatating. First two guys check, so I check to keep them in and make more money on the bigger rounds. Turn is a 7 and again they check, so I bet $6 and they call. The River is a 7 and again check-check, so I put another $6 in and get ready to rake it in. The second guy shows J7 for trip 7's. I'm so pissed that I just muck.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I could have taken a small profit by betting the flop. It was weird that the guy with trip 7's didn't even raise me at the end. Saved me some cash. Live and Learn.
Iceberg.
Old 01-25-06, 12:11 PM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to Yearbookpoker

Well iceberg...that sucks a little for you there, but you sort of deserved it. In limit games you can't slow play unless you are dominant. Even with that flop there is still trouble that could loom later on as you found out. You have to raise there and try and put them out early. But even if you didn't raise and did slow play which I can see you made another mistake IMO. On the rive the second 7 came. With this your hand became average to bad. You were now playing 2 pair with the boards 7's as your second pair. There for you had a 6 as your kicker after the Aces and 7's. If any other play had an Ace in their hand they could do no worse than split with you. I would bet my money on the fact that the other guy had an Ace and also had you beat with that river card. What I'm trying to say is that after that second 7 came you should have cut your losses and checked it off. Hey if your hand was still good nice, but you can't take the chances there. Maybe I'm wrong here...someone else have an opinion on an interesting hand.
Old 01-25-06, 02:06 PM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

That's not really a bad beat at all. You checked the flop which was a great flop for you, but it's not like you couldn't have been beat by a set. Also when you bet the turn, I'm sure he probably didn't put you on slow playing 2 pair. Him catching the river 7 is definately lucky on his part, but you could have played the hand better as a whole.

You have to bet flops like that, especially in limit games.
Old 01-26-06, 07:54 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 258

Yup, 50 lashes for not betting the flop.

BUT the guy might have also called a $3 bet (thinking I did not have an Ace) and hoping to catch some cards. We'll never know. Live Low Limit games are generally quite loose.
Old 01-26-06, 08:25 AM
Chip Leader

Send a message via AIM to Yearbookpoker

Yeah, thats basically the moral of the story. Low high limit games are pretty loose and limit games are even looser. Oh well, youll get them next time.
Old 01-26-06, 05:19 PM
Champion

YOu probably wouldn't have cleared a small profit if you bet b/c you would have still got called with someone who had A and higher kicker or the guy with J7. The moral of the story is Limit sucks or at least expect to get plenty of bad beats b/c people will always hang around to the river.