Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Bad Beats?
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-06, 07:09 AM
Banned

BBP Points: 0
Default You won't believe this ...

I have 66
He has AA

This is in a $2000 guaranteed Turbo at titan poker

flop comes A66

im like WHOA, quad sixes

i slow play it, luckily he has a boat.

he bets into me with 600(100/200 blinds at this point, i have about 6k , he has 4k or so)

i only call.

turn is an 8, no help to either of us. He bets again, ,this time 1,000.

This time I raise it to 2,000... which makes him go allin... and of course i call

Now i'm sure all of you can guess the river, but i'll just tell you anyways.

ACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Easily the worst beat of my life. I hate Titan Poker. Worst thing about it is that he didn't put his money in on 4 aces, he put his money in on a boat, when i had the best hand... TITAN IS GAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-06, 07:15 PM
Chip Leader

Send a message via AIM to Yearbookpoker

I just entered a $5 buy in tourney on titan poker and quickly built a good chip stack. Then just before the first break I have 4,000 in chips and here comes the bad beat rivers. A guy goes all in and I figured hes trying to steal blinds so I call with A-10 vs. his J-10 and he rivers a J. The very next hand, last one before the first break a guy raises the pot 2x the bb and I now around 2k go all in with A-J. He thinks and calls with K-J and again I'm good till a river K. Two straight. It took me 10 minutes to cool down. Now I'm just pissed and not extremely pissed.

To GOD, "WTF did I do to deserve such bad luck?"
Old 01-21-06, 09:46 PM
Short Stack

I keep telling myself "just because you were 55%, or 60%, or 80% to win that hand doesn't mean it was a sure thing" -- cause that's often how I regard it subconsciously. I might view anyone who beats my AA with their 22 thanks to a 2 on the river as a "suck out", but really it depends... if the person had reason to believe that I was bluffing or held a less strong hand, then calling may have made the most sense and luck just happened to go the other way.

We're so indoctrinated to play certain hands, fold certain hands, etc that we view some combinations as almost certain winners/losers, but ultimately it comes down to the cards and some randomness.
Old 01-22-06, 06:54 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen

I agree that if someone thinks you are bluffing they can try to pick you off with a lesser hand. But if someone thinks you're bluffing and they're holding 22 and call, that IS a suckout. The suckout part is just the cards coming out in favor of the 22.

Personally, I think to get involved with 22 in that situation isn't too smart anyway because you're at best in a coinflip.
Old 01-22-06, 12:23 PM
Bust

Had me worried there for a second. I went all in with 66 against someone's aa and knocked him out with a straight, lol. All preflop though of course. And I would have done the same thing if the circumstances happened again. But I don't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 01-22-06, 12:30 PM
Bust

YEah I believe something like that cna happen stuff like that always happens esp in TITAN and ABsolute Poker Really makes me mad!!!!
Old 01-31-06, 11:17 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 20

BadAndy you were very unlucky but that's poker. Doesn't mean titan is a bad site. I saw this things happened in many poker sites.
In my opinion if was instead of him i would of done the same having full of aces with 6 after the flop. He certanly can't believed when he saw what hand he took out.

Maybe next time you will be in his place.
Old 02-01-06, 03:04 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 6

This is an article Dutch Boyd wrote about these situations it makes total sense to me and hopefully it does to you as well, there is much to learn from just this small piece of writing.

" Best thing I can tell you is to pick your spots and be aggressive. The idea behind NL tournaments is not to show your hand unless you're sure it's good. Think about this... let's say you are short-stacked. If you get pocket aces against, say pocket Jacks, you're 4.5:1 to win... or about 82%. So you get your money in and go all-in, get called, and are hoping to double up. You do. Very next hand, you get aces again. You push all-in and get called by QQs... again, 82%. You win and double up again. But you're still just an average stack. Next hand you get them AGAIN! You push all-in and get called by a big stack with pocket 22s. Still 82%, but this time you lose. Ouch. Bad-beat, righ? Sure, sure...

But the funny thing is, it's not a bad beat at all. You see, you are basically betting a parlay. You must win the first + second + third. Figuring out the chances of winning all of them is done by multiplying all of the percentages together (82% x 82% x 82%)... it comes up to roughly 55%. So you are only a slight favorite to still be in the tournament after being all-in three times with the best hand in the game.

So how is it that people like Stu Unger, Johnny Chan and Doyle Brunson could win the biggest event more than once? They must have gotten lucky... actually, they just rarely put themselves in a position where they were all-in. This year, before my hand with Moneymaker, I was only all-in one time during the whole tournament. Moneymaker was only all-in one time... against me. In order to win tourneys, you have to keep from going all-in.

The best way to do that is to steal. Consider these ideas:

- AK v. 72o is only about a 6:4 favorite
- If you're on the button and everyone folded to you, the chance of one of the blinds having a pocket pair is only about 1/8
- The chances of QQ flopping a set or overpair is about 66%
- The chances of JJ flopping a set or overpair is about 50%
- The chances of TT flopping a set or overpair is only about 33%
- The chances of any pair flopping a set is about 13%
- The chances of any non-pair holding flopping a pair is 33%

What this means is that if you raise with 72o, you're only going to win the pot if it goes to showdown 40% of the time. But if the calling player will check and fold to a bet on the flop if he doesn't improve, the value of that 72o is a lot more than 40% of the pot. There are many times in tournaments where you don't have to even look at your hand... a raise is correct. There were several times in the WSOP that I didn't look.

If you combine those basic maths with your ability to read your opponents (whether a preflop raiser or the blinds will call a reraise and whether they improved on the flop), you'll do well.

There is pretty much a correct formula for how much to raise. Before the flop, if you're the first one in, it should be either 3 or 4 x the blind. If there are limpers, it should be whatever you would raise if you were first in + the pot. If there is a raiser, it should be about 3x his raise. Early in the tournament, you can increase these amounts since players are much more likely to call. Later in the tournament, you can decrease these amounts since players are less likely to call. But remember that if there are antes, there is a lot more at stake and it's better to win the pot right there instead of seeing a flop.

Hope that helps you on your way."
Old 02-01-06, 03:26 PM
Chip Leader

Send a message via AIM to Yearbookpoker

I like that article a lot. It's very correct and brings a new perspective to poker hands and odds. I have always looked at my odds to win or lose based my oponents cards and my cards. I havn't ever really thought about looking at the odds without betting or seing my oponents cards or anything. It's interesting to look at hands pre flop based on % of hitting cards and having best after all is said and done. I will deffinately use this in my game. Thanks for placing the article on here thedane.
Old 02-02-06, 06:14 AM
Bubble

While the result stunk (AA v. 66 hand), in all honesty you got lucky. Pre-flop you are a huge underdog. While after the flop only 1 card in the deck can beat you, and did, the hand is just an oddity for you to remember.

Actually what did he bet pre-flop? If he makes a big re-raise I kinda fold 66's depending upon who I am playing against.

However, I feel you pain. Once I foldped a full house with 66. The flop cam 556. Now, pre-flop there were no rasies and post flop a bad player raised to 800 (he had 2,000 chips). I went all in knowing he would call. He calls with a 54. He hits the case five on the river and I go home. There went my $5 entry fee.

Actually I have had some bad luck on full houses. All I can say is learn from the hand and whenver you want someone to feel bad about you tell them that story.