Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > Chit Chat > Poker Books, Chips, Tables..
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

View Poll Results: What helps you more (besides playing), watching or reading?
Watching poker on TV 3 25.00%
Reading poker books 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-05, 11:50 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen
Default What helps you more (besides playing), watching or reading?

I'm sure most of you would agree that playing is the best way to improve your game. But when you can't play, which do you prefer/think helps more:
-watching poker on tv...any type except Celebrity
-reading poker books
Old 12-04-05, 12:39 PM

BBP Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72

I've gotta go with reading. Watching allows you to see all sorts of different moves, but again we're just seeing the extremely edited versions, and it doesn't allow you to get into the mind of the player and figure out WHY they did what they did. You can get that in books though, the good ones at least. Reading another person's thought process is really beneficial - allows you to put yourself in their place and see how you'd do it. This is one of the reasons that I really enjoy reading poker blogs and these types of hand analysis discussions on forums - you can always benefit from hearing the viewpoint of another player.
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 12-04-05, 02:55 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen

O, and I guess I didn't really put this in but what about Poker Movies? for lack of a better word. I was browsing through DirecTV pay-per-view and saw a show presented by Howard Lederer. It was cheap, like $5, so I bought it. The first 20 minutes were the absolute basics, but after that I thought it was pretty good.

Also, with my points on Tilt I just bought "Final Table with Phil Gordon". I ordered it a week ago, so it will take a while to get. It says you get inside Phil's head as he talks about each hand to himself and analyzes opponents. So you get the personal aspect and also the ability to watch the hands unfold. It sounds like it combines the best of both watching and reading.
Can't wait for it and Harrington's book on headsup play.
Old 12-10-05, 01:00 PM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 174
Default Books over TV

I have seen that Howard Lederer movie that you were talking about and I agree that once you get past the basics it is pretty good. I think that he even has made acouple more movies since that but I'm not sure. I personally voted for reading poker books because most of the poker you see on TV is edited. But I have seen some live poker on FSN and that wasn't actually that bad. It did though move a little slow but other than that it was good.

I also was thinking of getting that new Phil Gordon video so if someone could tell me if im wasting my money or not.
Old 12-13-05, 02:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72

The Gordon video is good. Some of it is pretty basic stuff, but there is a lot of in-depth look into specific tourney situations. Definately something you'll want to watch a couple of times to get everything from it.
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 01-14-06, 04:59 PM
Short Stack

Default I think both are helpful

Personally, I like reading books about poker because they go much deeper into theory and so I tend to remember them better. They give me the information that becomes the core of my game. Most of what I learned about calculating pot/implied odds, pot equity, etc I learned out of the books. Also, I find that they're a good read.

Watching poker on TV (GOOD poker) is great too, because it's more situational. I might play a game and remember a similar hand I saw, and you get analysis from the commentators (though sometimes I wonder what they're smoking...).

Both have a place in the education of a poker player as a complement to playing.