Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > Tournament Talk > Poker Tournaments
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-05, 05:28 PM

BBP Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72
Default Poker Stars Deep Stack Tourney

Stars has started a new tourney, where you start out with 5000 chips and blinds are 30 minute levels. I haven't been able to give it a shot yet and it'll be a couple of weeks before I do, but it's a great format. They tend to go on for quite a while - one of them didn't finish up till 5:30am! However I think having so many chips with such a long time before the blinds really get to you would really benefit a conservative playing style. Anyone tried one of these? If so, did you make any changes to your normal tourney game?

If you're interested in checking this tourney out, they run every Saturday at 6:15 EST.
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 10-16-05, 08:34 PM
Bubble

Default My kind of tourney!

That sound like my kind of tournament! Not only because of the deep stacks, but also the length of the levels. The longest levels I've ever played were at the US Poker Championships, where they were 40 minutes. But that was live, so it was more like having a 20-minute level online. If the blind structure hadn't been so awful I might have been able to take advantage.

I may give this a try sometime soon - schedule permitting - and write up my experience.
Old 12-04-05, 10:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72

I tried one of these yesterday, and oh. my. God.

I started playing at 11am. Had a live tourney/party to be at at 6:30. 6 pm I tell my friend that I'm going to be late, just blind me out of her tourney. 7 pm I finally turn the tourney over to Scott, because I've got to go. At that point there was 50 or so players left, out of 1000+.

I just couldn't take it anymore. I hated to not finish it out myself, but not only did I feel it was more important to get over to my friend's, but the payout structure in these just sucks. At least in the $10 version - the $30 version appears to use a different one. In the $10 version the top 20% of the field pay, which ends up with the result that you have to make the final table if you want to hit any real money. Don't get me wrong, cashing is always nice, but after 7+ hours of work you want to see some real dough. I could have made more by playing the $1/$2 tables for an hour.

At any rate, these are nice tourneys and pretty forgiving in the early levels. I was on the phone when the tourney started and as a result made a couple of bad plays. But, it didn't hurt me so much given the blind to stack ratio. And when you get to the higher blind limits, everyone has these huge stacks in front of them, so one double-up can get you right back into things. Saw some pretty wild stack size swings.

So overall - a fun tourney, but be prepared to literally spend ALL DAY playing them, and be sure to check out the payout structure before hand. In the case of this one, I could have done any other $10 tourney and cashed more.
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 12-04-05, 10:59 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen

If the buyin for this tournament is only $10, and it lasts all day, I'd say that it's not worth it. I'd rather play two $50+5 tournys and spend maybe 4 hours playing.

I sort of have a grudge against lower buyin tournys because I simply cannot stand the play of people in these. Some of the players in these things amaze me that they even have the buyin.

Tex, I don't know your tourny preferences or bankroll, but I'd say to let this "deep stack" thing go. That's too long to be playing in a $10 tourny, even with that many players, unless you don't feel comfortable playing the bigger tournys. I myself have never played Pokerstars, so I probably should before saying anything. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
Old 12-04-05, 05:39 PM
Bust

Default to long for sure

i agree that those deep stacks tourney are to long,u pay like u said $10 and play 12 plus hours and the pay isnt that great, when u can play another tourney with regualr chip stack and make more in less time.i play one last month and after 8 hours i finally bag it and took home something like 35 dollars in a 10 dollar tourney,a regualr tourney in that time would take me to the final table and much more.until next time gl grab the cash while u can.
Old 12-10-05, 04:53 PM
Bust

Talking tourney

im up for these tourneys.what days are they and when do they start and what is the buy in.