Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > Tournament Talk > Poker Tournaments
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-05, 12:14 PM

BBP Points: 67
Send a message via MSN to BBP Guru
Default Poker Tournaments vs. Cash Games

Are you obsessed with playing tournaments and don't feel the need for playing in a cash game? Could playing one form alone be hurting your game?

Here's an article on pros and cons of playing tournaments vs. cash games. Tournaments vs. Cash Games.

BTW what do you play more often? Cash Games or Tournaments?
Old 01-21-06, 11:58 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen

I am more of a tournament player, I make more from tournaments, and I enjoy playing in them more than cash games. However, too often thereis not a good enough tourny going on that I find myself in a cash game because they're so readily available.

By good enough I mean its buy in, # of players, and type of game being played
Old 01-21-06, 01:06 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 0

Personally, I NEVER play cash games. I am exclusively a tournament player. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I just like the tournament atmosphere and feel a lot better.

I think it might be my whole 'Sports and Competition' attitude. I am a huge sports fan, and can get pretty competitive in the friendliest of games, so I think a tournament appeals more to me. If you lose there, you are done - whereas in a cash game, losing doesn't really mean much, you just restock your chips.
Old 01-22-06, 07:03 AM
Champion

I love the competition too, but in such a way that I don't care how the money is out there I just want to beat someone out of it. At a cash game if I knock someone out it feels like a huge win and when they come back I want to start a streak or something. If this were a poll I'd vote tourny>cash
Old 01-22-06, 08:03 AM
Short Stack

I definitely prefer tournaments. I find that there are multiple layers of strategy that don't so much apply to cash games (short vs. big stack, early vs. late, etc), and that you can often get to know your table better (at an SNG or the end of a MTT). Also, there is a finite beginning and end, which I like.

Definitely tourneys...
Old 01-22-06, 08:40 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by beriac
I definitely prefer tournaments. I find that there are multiple layers of strategy that don't so much apply to cash games (short vs. big stack, early vs. late, etc), and that you can often get to know your table better (at an SNG or the end of a MTT). Also, there is a finite beginning and end, which I like.

Definitely tourneys...

When I do find myself playing in cash games I still consider those layers of strategys as much as I do in a tourny. And for me, at least, it doesn't seem harder to get to know a table in a cash game over a tourny.

The finite beginning and end is what makes the tourny structure great, I fully agree.
Old 01-22-06, 01:24 PM
Bust

I also enjoy playing in tournaments more than simple cash games. I like going for the big money!
Old 01-22-06, 01:31 PM
Short Stack

For me part of the issue is people coming and going from the table (which would also be present in the early rounds of MTTs), it makes it more difficult for me to get a read on people. But that would depend on the table, of course.
Old 01-22-06, 03:34 PM
Banned

Thumbs down tournament it's the safe way

I HATE CASH GAME

THERE IS ALWAYS A SMART BLUFFER/BLUNDER WHO CALL ALL IN WITH 3 TIME YOUR MONE, BEFORE FLOOP, ONLY TO CRASH YOUR START HAND.

AND THIS GUY IS ALWAYS LUCKY TOO

ON TOURNAMENT YOU CAN SEE THE PROGRESSION AND ANALYSE YOURS OPPONENTS
Old 01-22-06, 05:19 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 6

I like to play a mixture of cash games and tournments. I have made the most profit playing cash games but I've also been caught over my head playing $5-10NL with too small of a bankroll. I know that I'm probably better at cash games but I like playing freezeout tournments on Titan Poker, I can't seem to adjust to the play in the rebuy tournments. Its too loose with lots of bad beats.

I think that I should play less cash games and more tournments due to my growing success in tournments and the bigger percentage of gain in winning a tournment.