Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-05, 03:38 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 0
Default How do you handle the table aggressor?

In No limit Hold'em one of the most important traits of a successful player is aggression. The majority of the time in a ring game and even in tournament play the most aggressive person at the table is going to simply out play others because they dont have it in them to stake it all on one hand.

What is your tactic for slowing down the aggressive player on the table?
Old 08-30-05, 04:25 PM

BBP Points: 67
Send a message via MSN to BBP Guru

Here's my strategy: Wait for a good hand and move all-in preflop (depending on my stack, blinds, number of players left etc..). The aggressor will either call or fold. If he's an underdog and still wins, thats just bad luck.

When i have a big stack, i like to steal blinds. The only thing that keeps me from calling is when someone moves all-in.
Old 08-31-05, 07:22 AM
Bubble

Talking

Im mostly a agreissve player my self. but sometimes when others are, if I have the cards I let them put in as mutch money he likes if I dont have the cards Ijust ignore it. not much else to do
Old 08-31-05, 12:59 PM
Bubble

normally i am the table agressor, so i dont have to handle them. if there is someone out there playing more agressivly i assume he is more of a wild wrecklass player than an agressive one...and i just let the other people at the table loose to him or outplay him, knowing he isnt really a long term threat.

2 minutes later...

"Oh I get it."- Me
Old 08-31-05, 02:04 PM
Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMc
In No limit Hold'em one of the most important traits of a successful player is aggression. The majority of the time in a ring game and even in tournament play the most aggressive person at the table is going to simply out play others because they dont have it in them to stake it all on one hand.

What is your tactic for slowing down the aggressive player on the table?

Dan Harrington suggests playing right back at these aggressors, his take on them being that they don't really want expensive confrontations, they really just want to pick up a lot of cheap pots from players who will back down. That works better against some aggressors than others, especially online, where some of these players are just all-out maniacs who will literally move in with any two cards. Watch the cards that your aggressor ends up showing down, and see if you can determine whether he's an intelligent player or a maniac. If he's intelligent, playing back at him might just be the way to go. Just be sure you have position of you want to make moves without good cards.
Old 09-01-05, 10:22 PM
Short Stack

I'm not sure you want to slow them down too much. If you do, they won't push you as hard - or maybe not at all - when you catch your good hands, which means it's less likely that they'll trap themselves.

Perhaps the best way to slow them down is just let them do that, trap themselves, a couple of times. That quite often slows them right down.
Old 12-04-05, 08:17 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 29
Send a message via AIM to AGreen

Aggressors do like to take blinds and small pots, so let them take a few. No need to protect your blinds or mediocre hands. Personally I like to check an aggressive/wreckless player my good hands. A good example of checking to the aggressor is from the Main Event this past year:
When Joseph Hachem and Andrew Black went into the flop headsup, Hachem was a rather big underdog with his Ac6c to Black's QQ. I'm sure any of you who followed the Main Event would agree that Black is an overly aggressive player, even though he mixes it up a decent amount. Anyway, when Hachem flopped the nut flush and checked it, he was guaranteeing action from Black. Black would probably made a move even if he hadn't flopped top set.
Let the aggressors make their moves, play it to them like you have nothing. They love to see a player make a weak check.
Old 07-18-06, 06:26 AM
Bust

I make most of my chips from these types of players because usually they have read a book thatr says play aggresively but do not understand exactly what that means. You have to use their aggression to your advantage. Always let them throw the first punch.
Old 07-18-06, 12:01 PM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 22

Quote:
I make most of my chips from these types of players because usually they have read a book thatr says play aggresively but do not understand exactly what that means. You have to use their aggression to your advantage. Always let them throw the first punch.

Totally agree. I always let them throw the first few punchs, play uber conservatively, and then the next time I get a powerhouse hand, I attempt to either go all in pre-flop or bet enough to expose their aggressive (usually non-sensical) play.

My story: Same thing, this guy was playing uber aggressive. Pushing people out of hands, and being quite successful with it. He bet half my chips on one hand, with me staring at AA. I go all in, and sure as anything, we flip and he catches trips on the flop. That hand hurt - and bolstered his dominance,,, but it would have knocked him back a few notches had I busted him with my AA.

oh well, such is poker.
Old 07-18-06, 03:31 PM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 40

In SnG's, I love the table aggressors. They are usually okay for a little while, as I study their playing style. But as I see them pushing players off the pot without having to show their hands, or going all in preflop several times, I just wait for the right moment.
Today I took out 2 aggressors at different times. They went all in before me, and I had A K on one, and pocket Qs on the other. I called their all in. (In this situation you can usually count on the action being heads-up, nobody else is going to call. That's part of the aggressors power--they get everybody running scared.) And sure enough, they had nothing. I won, and they disappeared from the table. If you can catch them like that, you can make some money.