Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-05, 09:19 AM
Bubble

BBP Points: 0
Default How many hands?

In limit Hold'em or any limit game for that matter you have to grind out your wins. This means you will need to play several hands to achieve your set goal for winnings. If I am playing $3/$6 Limit I would normally be sitting with a minimum of $600 in front of me and more than likely $1000. I will not end a session until 2 things happen. I play 250 hands or I loose 50BB (bigbets for you new to limit newbie folks). This is the only way for me to determine if I am playing good and just losing on cards or playing shitty and losing on my own donkey moves.

FOCUS:

How many hands to you normally play in a session?
Old 08-26-05, 10:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72

$600????? Jeez.....when I play $4/$8 at the Bellagio, I only buy in for $200. Someone has a big stack complex....

Interesting idea about just playing x number of hands...I tend to play until I'm tired, then call it a night. I do usually have a stop-loss in mind, but if I'm winning, I keep on playing. Of course, there have been many times where I've thought "Should've left when I had that big stack...."
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 08-27-05, 12:24 AM
Bubble

Talking

I think that it doesent mather how many hands you play . you should play untill you dont wana play anymore ( or when your mony are running out)
I think that you must do so in any game you play it doesent mather if its limit or no limit some days you win and some days you dont. You can have alot of bad hands when you are playing limit to. andyou sometimes have to waite for a long time. so either you play some more or you can change table or just keep on playing until you dont feel like it any more
Old 08-27-05, 07:16 AM
Bubble

600$ is exagerated in my opinion.
You can handle with table minimum buyin.
And you can reraise on small blind ant take blinds at some tables.
Kidding.
Cheers!
Old 08-27-05, 10:04 AM
Short Stack

Big stack complex.... that was too funny....

Since I am only playing freerolls and play money SNG's at the moment..

My answer is,

Until I get annoyed.
Old 08-27-05, 05:45 PM
Bubble

I just dont like to be underfunded and thats why you have not seen my playing that much pokerblogger
Old 09-03-05, 04:55 PM
Chip Leader

old post, but still replying as i just started limit holdem for the experience

i really don't think large chipstack makes a difference in limit.
since there's no large bet concept, when a big stack calls you down, there's no need to be scared of that because you won't end up in a jeopardizing situation where the big stack will raise you all in.

in another note, i'm playing 2/4 Limit holdem, and i'm shit i'm down 30 dollars right now. oops.

maybe i should start with lower limits...
Old 09-08-05, 01:13 AM
Bubble

The minimum I want to buy in for at any limit HE table is 12 BB - the total number of bets I'll be throwing in with a big hand if the action is capped on every street. Usually, though, I like to buy in for twice that and make my stack 25 BB. So in a 1-2 HE game, I buy in with $50; in a 2-4, $100, etc. Anything more than that is overkill, really, since you can't use more than 12 BB on any one hand, and you can always rebuy if absolutely necessary. There may be something to be said for the psychological factor, e.g. making people think you've got some sort of problem because you bring so many chips with you, but I'm not too sure about that.

As far as how many hands I play in a given session, I think that really depends. It's easy to figure out whether table conditions are favorable by observing your opponents for about 3 orbits or so. If they're good for me, I like to stick around until I've played about 100 hands, doubled my buy-in, or the conditions change drastically. If they're bad (table is too tight-aggressive), I'll walk right away and find another table to sit at. These are my guidelines for online games; live games are different because in most of the rooms where I've played you don't often have much choice as to where you are going to sit.

This is all subjective, of course, but my experience says that these numbers are all about right.
Old 08-17-06, 12:14 AM
Banned

Yeah big stack is deffenetely advantage.I play 20% of my hands in limit holdem.Somewhere i read for 80/20 rule to see the flop.
Old 08-17-06, 07:05 AM
Bust

I usually buy in for 20 BB in a limit game, and if my stack drops below 12 BB, I top it up. You don't want to have 3BB, pick up AA, and not be able to win the max!

If you are playing at a table that YOU CAN BEAT, then you should never have a stop loss. If you honestly feel that you are one of the 2-3 best players at the table, you should stay, especially if the others are too loose/passive. Your losses might just mean a cold run of cards or a couple of bad beats. If you were Doyle Brunson against 9 first timers, then lost half your stack, would you leave the table???

Stop losses are bad poker.