Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-05, 12:11 AM

BBP Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72
Default What do you do?

So, I was at a big party this weekend that featured a lot of poker players. Towards the end of the night a few of us got to talking about strategy and such (ignoring the party going on around us) and this hand was posed by one of my friends -

Quote:
$10/25 NLHE ring game. 10-handed
EP raises to $85. MP calls. You call with QJs in the cutoff. Button calls. Blinds fold.
$375 in the pot.
Flop is T98 and has a flush draw that doesnt match your suit.
EP (preflop raiser) checks. MP checks.
What is your move and why? I emphasize the why in this scenario, because I can imagine about 5 lines one might take here and 4 of them have the same action on the flop. So, what line are you taking in this hand?

I had my initial response when looking at it, but after the group analysis, I started to see things differently. Curious to see what others think about it as well...
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 08-24-05, 08:34 AM
Short Stack

It's more likely that someone has 1 of the suit, than it is that anyone has 2 of the suit, however, it is still possible that one, or even more have 2 of the suit.. and moreso, for more than one to have at least 1 of the suit..

At the levels being played... money wise.. we have to assume that we are up agaisnt some quality players....

We have a nut straight... and 2 checks in front of us...

Here is what we should do:

Call Phil Gordon and ask for help.
Old 08-24-05, 10:08 AM
Chip Leader

I'd say bet about a quarter of the pot. 1/4 is probably higher than the odds for all the players.
you can put the button on a more variety of hands than the other players so very likely that he may have two suited cards and/or holding one of the cards in the flop. making a pair.
chances are button is gonna call you despite what he has when you raise only a quarter of the pot.
as for the other two, i won't be sure if they have two suited cards but one of them could well be holding a AJ or AQ, or AK,AA,KK,QQ or lower pocket pair.
if they had higher pocket pair,they'd still think they are best and stay in,
AJ will certainly call with an open ended straight draw.
AK i'm not sure....

bet hard on the turn though. if it's the flush card, be aware
but if it's a 7, bet hard. since someone probably made their Jack High straight
if it's a rag, bet on large as well, since whoever has a set will probably still call you.
Old 08-24-05, 12:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayre
It's more likely that someone has 1 of the suit, than it is that anyone has 2 of the suit, however, it is still possible that one, or even more have 2 of the suit.. and moreso, for more than one to have at least 1 of the suit..

At the levels being played... money wise.. we have to assume that we are up agaisnt some quality players....

LOL. Pauly won't give me his number!!! I think he thinks I'll stalk him or something...not sure where he got THAT idea.
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 08-24-05, 02:46 PM
Bubble

What do I do... I probably lose the damn hand
Old 08-24-05, 02:47 PM
Bubble

No seriously I would check it here and hope to induce a big bet from a set and move all in with the reraise.
Old 08-25-05, 10:53 PM
Short Stack

I bet at least $300. I'm ahead, and of someone wants to see the turn on the chance of improving their hand to something that will beat my straight, let them over-pay for it. If everyone folds, I've won a nice pot. If the big blind comes over the top, or if one of the others does after having checked to try for a trap, I have to decide how to continue, but that wasn't the question.

If I know the big blind will raise with anything if I check, that's my other possible choice. But I'd have to be pretty confident in my read since I don't want to see another check behiind me resulting in a free turn card.
Old 08-26-05, 11:40 AM
Bubble

i bet half the pot and cautiously look for a re-raiser I don't belive anybody would come out and bet one the flop with a flush. and half pot bet maybe get rid of any player holdin' a high (flush draw card) and really it all depends how player's at the table have been playin' but most likley I'd bet half pot or pot bet.
Old 08-27-05, 07:11 AM
Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayre

D
Please paste me his number too. I sure have to ask him smth.
Old 08-31-05, 02:32 PM
Champion

I would definitely come in for a bet. I hate risking something like that and letting somebody hit their flush for free.

I would bet something in the neighbourhood of 1/2 the pot size to the pot size. Hopefully this will scare off somebody chasing their flush, but keep around somebody that thinks their top pair, or overpair is good.

That's what I would do, but it's hard to determine the right move to get maximum value out of the nuts.

On the other hand, you could definitely check the nuts, and sucker somebody into betting into you on the turn. You could then make a smooth call, or come in for the raise (depending on whether or not the turn makes 3 to the flush on the board).

Like you said, there are many ways to play this hand. I would come in for a good sized bet though