Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-05, 07:08 PM

BBP Points: 67
Send a message via MSN to BBP Guru
Default What limit do you play??

What limit do you usually play in No limit:

1. SnG tournaments? and/or
2. Cash games?

How do you know when to move up or down the limits?

Share all your stories and experience.
Old 08-22-05, 11:09 PM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 0

I don't play ring games very often, so I basically look at the cost of a tournament, be it an SNG or an MTT, and then I play at a level that won't bother me if I don't place and end up losing my entire entry fee. This isn't the same amount all the time; it depends how I feel at any particular moment. Sometimes, it changes during the same day; an example that's probably easy to understand - although it's certainly not always the case - is that if I win a nice amount and still feel like playing, I may be more inclined to take a shot at a tournament that costs more to enter.
Old 08-22-05, 11:43 PM
Chip Leader

Arjonius, better idea would be just sticking to one type or tourney and slowly building it up, that way you'd last longer with your money. (besides, if i'ts for the entertainment that you play, it won't matter if you play the lower buy-in one or the higher buyin one)
atleast if you keep it at a certain level all the time, your bankroll will be heading upwards, and not down
if money is not an issue, bleh, just keep playing the way you feel like it.
as for me money is tight matter so i have to work on my budgeting

I mostly play 0.1/0.25 ring games or 0.25/0.50 ring games.
ring games i seem to play better, but lose more as well. (my personal excuse is that everytime i'm in a really big pot, i am ahead in the hand until the river card... but nobody seems to believe me)

before i got into ring games i played Sitngo's, I'd have streaks of good finishes but then i'd have streaks of bad finishes (again, i know i was better than them and i had the better hand but they got lucky on the river! my excuse..)

when it comes to large tourneys i tend not to spend more than 5 dollar as buy-in since large tourneys can be very hard to manage your bankroll with...
Old 08-23-05, 03:28 PM
Short Stack

Thanks for your comments nxtyear. I don't play for very much money; I'd have to say the majority of my tourney buy-ins are no more than $2, and like I said, I play very little ring. And I'm not playing dozens of these per day like some people do, so even if I lose every single time, it's pretty much like I spent some money to go to a movie and bought some popcorn and a soda; i.e. it's relatively cheap entertainment. Actually, I'm nicely ahead overall, so it's even better.
Old 08-23-05, 06:44 PM
Bubble

I play both Limit and No Limit

Limit is $2/$4 and $3/$6 if Multi table
Single table I play $5/$10 - $8/$16

No Limit depends on the day.

$1/$2 - $25-$50 (<-) only when wife is out of town and I am not goign to get bothered

Live games are $1-2 to $10-$20 NL

Tournamnents are whatever I feel like that day up to $100
Old 08-23-05, 07:58 PM
Chip Leader

wow ur a high roller compared to manny of us Scott.

i wish you all the best and hope that you are playing very profitably

do you make a living from playing poker or? it seems quite high limits for recreation.
Old 08-23-05, 10:24 PM
Bubble

NO I do not play for a living... I have been playing extremly short for the last 4 months since I bought a house. I cashed out almost my entire 3 years worth of work to do so when I found out I was going to have a kid. One of the biggest problems I have is adjusting to lower limits. I force myself to play lower table to make my current bankroll more playable but can only resist the urge for so long.

In a typical month last year at this time my bank roll would have been around $10K in play with in a month. at the end of the month I would cash out and bring myself back down to $10K

This year however I am playing on a total bankroll of about $3000 and it forces me to play lower than I like and out of my comfort zone, YES playing lower than you are use to can mess your game up severly just like playing above your means which is a second problem I have. I force my self in to games when I can not afford them.

Twice this year I have been on the verge of broke for the limits I have set and had to grind my way back. Once I was extremly lucky and had a 3 day run that got me far into the black. But if I was to chart this month since Feb. It would look like a roller coaster.

One of the most important things I could ever tell anyone about poker is to play within your ROLL. With the current Roll I have I can still play $1/$2 NL and if I build up can get to $2$4 but one bad sessions and I am down at the .10 .20 tables grinding.

This time last year I was a regular player at $8-$16 Limit and $10/ $20 noLimit. Once this past month I opened a BIG can of STOOOPID and sat at $100/$200 and pulled a hit and run I have also managed to winning sessions at $25/$50NL but all winnings from that session were used to pay for my soon to be kids soon to come day care for 2 years.

The hardest thing in the world to do in my opinon is not move up it is step down. I hate having to play below $1 $2 NL and when I do I am reckless and often way to aggressive.
Old 08-25-05, 08:38 AM
Bubble

Send a message via AIM to royalflush525
Smile Depends

Well it really depends on how much money i have, and how lucky i feel, I like playong the higher limits but so offten I find myself low on funds. I usully get my money from freerolls because I'm home sitting for the kids that I have, Its really easy to play with the kids and play my tourn, my grandkids our good kids and they already like texas holdem well at least the 2yr and 6yr old u know u can learn alot from like ur numbers, addition, subtraction and some shapes. lol I hope no one thinks bad of me I'm really not teaching them to gamble I tell them it could be a ur job one poker champ. lol
Old 08-25-05, 10:16 AM
Bubble

I like to play $20 - and up Tournaments and not re-buys! freezeouts. I like playin' the tournaments it's rewardin' when u make final table, and it's sharpen's your skills. I also play in cash games $2/4 or $3/$6 No limit I am crashin' and burnin' there, lol win a tournament and then go blow it at the tables. maybe Ill stick to tournamnts only
Old 09-11-05, 01:11 PM
Bust

Since I am new to this site (found it through a blog), this looked like a good spot to sey hello.
I'm 95% online action:
I play mainly 5/10 limit, occasionally 15/30.
NL I play 1/2 and 2/4. As of now, I don't stray higher.
Tournies, I am all over the map- $10&20 on up to $200, and rebuys anywhere from $5-$50.
I played WSOP ME this year(but that doesn't make $10k 'my limit'!), and I am playing in my 2nd WCOOP event today(1k entry, also played #1).

I play under paulie187 on PS and Party and FrozenWave everywhere else.
pleased ta meetcha all, this seems like a good forum!

« Odds | brits »