Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > Chit Chat > Poker Books, Chips, Tables..
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-05, 06:39 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 46
Default Super System

Super System 1 and 2 are the 2 best books on the market. The insight in these two books are great. Begineers, ametuers, and semi pros can all learn alot from this book. Its a must have for any serious poker player or anyone tryog to learn the game
Old 08-24-05, 02:17 AM
Bust

BBP Points: 9

Jennifer Harman's section on Limit Hold'em is the best info on Limit ever written, topping Hellmuth's Play Poker Like the Pros, which is really about Limit more than No Limit. Harman really is the best Limit player of the decade. I have found that the limit advice, though written about No Limit Hold'em proper, applies perfectly for Crazy Pineapple.
Old 08-24-05, 10:47 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 0

No one book is going to make your game complete. The best way to learn is to read everything out there. SS1-2 are great books. Skalnsky's stuff is good as well but to fully understand the majority of his systems you need to read... play for 6 months... reread... repeat.

NO BOOk is a replacement for table time.
Old 08-25-05, 10:58 AM
Bubble

I am sure all the books are great for learnin' but I find experience the best lesson's to be tought, I've never read a poker book at all. And I am doin' fine but I guess for the more serious WSOP bound players want to read these books. I think I'll manage without havin' to spend money on some books of other players experinces Ill make my own.
Old 08-25-05, 01:32 PM
Banned

question to mikeychips...

i was wondering how long the different sections in the book are, for example how many pages is the NL holdem section and Omaha PL section..

also, does Doyle get help writing these sections? if so , who helps him?

thanks

Last edited by nicka123 : 08-25-05 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-27-05, 12:48 AM
Bubble

All the sections are written by different pros.

Doyle is more of an editor than the author. It is a very, VERY thick book. I don't have it in front of me but I would say about 100 pages on each major game. Its a very good book. I got it at the library, but I also know that if you play at DoylesRoom you can get a free copy.
Old 08-30-05, 12:16 PM
Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeychips22
Super System 1 and 2 are the 2 best books on the market. The insight in these two books are great. Begineers, ametuers, and semi pros can all learn alot from this book. Its a must have for any serious poker player or anyone tryog to learn the game

Although I agree that they are good books, the concepts can be a little tough to apply for beginners. In addition, with only 100 pages or so devoted to limit hold'em and another 100 to NLHE, these books are somewhat lacking in information.

I think to fully use the Super System books, it's best read some other books first . This is especially true if playing small stakes holdem...Super System can help you when playing against players who know how to play, but even Brunson says that when playing against weak players, you just have to show down the best hand. The Super System books can lure you into a fall sense of security, thinking that certain set plays will work in any game. That's not the case.

Everyone's probably heard of Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Jones and Harrington on Holdem Vols. I and II. These books do a better job of introducing players to holdem than Super System would.

In the end, though, it comes down to one simple fact: if you want to get good at poker, read everything you can. And when you're done, read them all again...and again...and again... And when you're not reading, play.

K.
Old 01-22-06, 12:12 PM
Champion

I've read SS1, but have not got SS2 yet. How's it compare? Is it worth getting?
Old 01-22-06, 12:47 PM
Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by track1697
I've read SS1, but have not got SS2 yet. How's it compare? Is it worth getting?

I've heard the SS2 is just a revised version of SS1. I just skipped SS1 because it came out in the late 70s and Doyle even said something about SS2 being outdated. Someone who read both can comment on that, though.

SS2 is excellent. I read the first 200 pages in one sitting, and time just flew by. I especially liked the autobiography of doyle. I had no knowledge about his earlier years.
Old 01-22-06, 12:51 PM
Champion

SS1 went into Doyle's early years and it was quite an interesting story. Sounds like SS2 would be very similar with some updates for the times since it was written so long ago. He still loves the suited connectors though doesn't he...