Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-05, 04:34 PM
Banned (Copied posts from other forums)

BBP Points: 0
Default the Mike Matusow effect

I tend to do very well in NL hold em tournaments and usually do well at cahs games as well..........for a while. Then KABOOM! I seem to explode on any given hand. I have heard and read that Mike Matusow "aka Mike the Mouth" has this smae problem. I think it has to do with the fact that am an aggressive player, but play a pretty solid game too. I think that I can sense weakness on players sometimes, even online, how crazy is that? I usually try to take down a pot and lose it all on that hand. BUT that is also how i win money most of the time. I don't know, I guess I just need to watch myself and stay away form calling stations.

xmanpike
Old 08-21-05, 07:37 PM
Short Stack

It's not as simple as I'm going to make it seem, but it appears that the heart of Matusow's problem is that he does things on impulse that he knows he shouldn't. Before the WSOP final table, he talked about how he had been playing the most steady, solid poker of his life, how he thought he had a good chance if he continued to play the same way so as to grind through the less experienced players, and how he wanted to avoid what Phil Ivey had done the day before when he went out, which was to play and lose a number of large pots.

Then what does Matusow do on the second hand? He goes all-in pre-flop. Hard to blame him since he had KK, but he got excited and deviated from his plan. Ran into AA. Didn't bust out because he had the guy covered, but went from one of the large stacks to one of the small ones, and never really managed to recover.
Old 08-21-05, 10:45 PM
Chip Leader

it all boils down to thinking before you act i guess.
i do that as well
today i was in a freeroll doing massively well, i was in the final 2 tables
i raised from SB when everyone folded with QJ, the guy in BB who had 60% of my stack, reraised all-in
i quickly called, roughly thinking that he'd done that because i thought he though i was position raising.
alas i ran into AA and lost it

you should think before you act, make sure u think how the players played before, whether they raised alot or not etc.

also, if there has been lots of folds in the past few hands... chances are(although they are mutually exclusive events, considering the longrun probability) one of them has hit a good hand now....

so think before you act!
Old 08-22-05, 11:38 AM
Bubble

I have the same problem some days. It normally happens when I am running real hot and feel that I can not be stopped. I get my blinders on and stop paying attenion to the others at the table and just look at my hand. That is when I normally get slapped back into reality. I start callling bets without even thinking of what the other guy COULD have. Worst hands for me when I get like this are the big broadway hands where I have top pair good/top kicker and I dont even stop to think of sets or 2 pairs.

I have gotten myself into the habit of not calling/betting any hand without counting to 8. It gives me time for the ADD to wear off and to think about the other guy.
Old 08-23-05, 03:42 PM
Short Stack

Although I can't claim it has raised my game to a completely new level, I've been trying to train myself to take just a second or two before acting, even if the choice of action seems pretty automatic. Every once in a while, this results in my not making the play I would have made if I'd stayed on auto-pilot. It doesn't happen on a high percentage of hands, but since I have only been playing for less than three months, I'm sure I'll spot more instances as I gain experience and my game improves.
Old 08-24-05, 12:48 AM
Bubble

I think its hard to play online tournaments sometimes.especially the freeroll because you can play like a real proffesional but still lose because there are so many people that cant play or dont care if they lose so they call you whit anything and they always win. its hard to know how to play whit people like that. but I agree that you after a wail lern how to reed some palyers and you get a solide gutfeeling after some time. but I beleave that sometimes it doesent mather how you play you lose anyway and it doesent make a differens how well you play or how good cards you have. I hope that all can understand what I am writing since my spelling is not that great. I am from sweden.
Old 08-27-05, 12:58 AM
Bubble

Lets face it this guy is a little nuts. He seems to have something else going on inside him that motivates his actions. Did you see how he reacted to losing last year? Talk about going from one extreme to another in almost no time.

Also he was arrested last year for supplying coke to one of his buddies. He got caught in a sting operation. That guy has trouble controlling his actions not only in poker, but in real life as well.

We all have trouble making rational decisions and we need to work hard at training ourselves not to make the impulse moves that are GUARANTEED to ruin us...like calling with K4suited against a raise and 4 callers. Good poker is defined by consistantly making the correct play. Like any swing player, like a blackjack player, you can have great streaks, but in the end the well disciplined player wins. Look how calm most of the old timers all. I don't think you could put Doyle or Amarillo on Tilt.
Old 08-31-05, 09:16 PM
Bubble

Default Mike the Mouth

Not only is the guy mouthy, which I abhor, he is a volcano waiting to erupt. He seems to figure his opponents hand and then blow up when and if they draw out on him. He went to the sideline crying in 2004, when I thought he should have been kicking himself.

I don't like the guy, and I don't think he measures up to the real pro's.

How do you avoid the blow ups? Well first of all NL Texas Holdem is that kind of game. You can make the right decision, make the right play, put your opponent on his hand, and still get beat. Make the best decision you can and live with it.
Old 09-01-05, 07:18 PM
Short Stack

This has happened to me a bunch of times where im playing real well and have plenty of chips and for some reason i make one stupid move which costs me so many chips and kinda gets me on tilt.

Maybe its because i get too confident and end up not thinking about what im doing and just doing it because i feel invinceable, but yeah, it happens to everybody and im trying to cut down on these kinds of mistakes.

Good post tho bringing this up because its not just Matasow that has this problem, everybody goes through this.
We are Lions!!!
You know whats there
Waiting beyond that beach
Immortality
Take it, its yours!!!
Old 09-01-05, 10:10 PM
Short Stack

For those who may be interested in reading more about Matusow in his own words, there's a pretty interesting interview available on Cardplayer.com in which he talks about things ranging from the WSOP to his poker background, etc.