Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > Chit Chat > Poker Books, Chips, Tables..
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-05, 04:25 AM
Bubble

BBP Points: 0
Default What poker books have you read ?

Please post here what poker books have you read and what other ones would like to read in the future..

I read both Supersystems by Doyle Brunson...GREAT BOOKS ! I recomend them to everybody...I also read Theory of Poker by David Sklansky another fine book and if someone else read other books can you recomend any ?
And where can i buy them from...i bought the others one from amazon...

Cheers,
W13rd0W
Old 08-16-05, 09:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72

If you're interested in working on your tournament game, you have got to pick up Harrington on Hold'Em. It's considered to be the premier book for tournament play. I just started it myself - a much easier read than Sklansky.
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 08-16-05, 09:35 AM
Chip Leader

Default lol

Harrington on Hold'em definitely the best.
i'm reading it and it hasn't helped me much yet (cuz i ended up playing more ringgames lately) but i know it's gonna help me out

i also think Supersystem 2 was interesting, i never read supersystem 1 so i'm not sure...

Sklansky's Hold'em for Advanced players is not so bad, but it's hard to read so much that it gets boring reading so much:S

i heard there was a new book by barry greensteign coming out. hope it's intersting. i'm gonna buy it so
Old 08-16-05, 05:03 PM
Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas72
If you're interested in working on your tournament game, you have got to pick up Harrington on Hold'Em. It's considered to be the premier book for tournament play. I just started it myself - a much easier read than Sklansky.
I guess I shoul have looked here first. I want an easy read book I will look into it. Dan Harrington is one cool customer.
Old 08-16-05, 05:30 PM
Chip Leader

Default -

Napcuz, there's lots of books out there that are great but all books can serve different purposes.
majority of the poker books out there are for beginners, reading them will teach u how to play poker etc, telling u what an online poker is (and i'm assuming ur already at the level to know what online poker is). most beginner books state all the obvious things that u'll find in the internet. telling u basically what the premium hands are, telling you that u should sit left to loose players etc.

then there's the advanced book,s which all serve different purposes.
Harrington on Hold'em is by far THE book to read if ur gonna be playing Tournaments or sitngo's. Reason this book is specialized for tournaments is (not only the title) but the fact that i takes into account the rising blinds and the concept of fixed chip amount, player elimination etc.

and i'm assuming ur gonna be willing to read up on No-Limit Holdem.

if ur willing to read up on low stake nolimit holdem ring games. (ie 0.25/0.5 NL, 0.5/0.1 etc)
then u might wanna read Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller/Sklansky
I also read there was a book by Lou Krieger , or was it Leejones? which is also good for low limits.

also, yeah, Theory of Poker is known to be a good read, although i haven't read it myself, but it provides the fundamental knowledges that u have to know about the general game of poker. (less strategy, more logic and numbers)

then there's Super System by doyle. its a good book allaround, not just Holdem but all the other various types of Poker. i personally didn't like the NL part in the book but to others, its the bible of aggressive playing.

so u should consider what type of game ur willing to improve, ring game or tournament, low or high stakes, limit or no-limit, aggressive playing or not. etc.
Old 08-17-05, 03:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtyear
i heard there was a new book by barry greensteign coming out. hope it's intersting. i'm gonna buy it so

Greenstein's book is out, it's called Ace on the River. I've heard from some people that it's hard to get into, but is supposed to be a great book. Apparently has a lot of pictures too...
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
Old 08-17-05, 03:50 PM
Chip Leader

i heard before that barry greenstein makes a reference to sex, and it's not something we like to imagine..

but now ur saying there's "lots of pictures too..." ,, now i'm suspicious what sort of pictures they are :S

sorry if this is inappropriate topic; feel free to erase this message on my behalf
Old 08-17-05, 08:22 PM
Banned

i have two books, first is super system and the second is Phil Hellmuths " Play poker like the pros "

i find them both to be extremely helpful...i recommend both!
Old 08-30-05, 01:28 AM
Bubble

Default Amarillo Slim

The only poker book I ever read was written by Slim, and I don't reccomend it. His wild style of play is not for me.
Old 08-30-05, 12:04 PM
Bust

I only started playing online for $$ in May of this year. TigerGaming gave me $5 for free (I was amazed at this at the time - I thought they were the most generous poker room ever...) and I started playing the 0.10 + 0.02 SNGs and the 10c/20c limit tables.

I soon learned that I couldn't beat the 10c/20c games having only watched some poker on TV, so I started reading some books. Here are the books I've read:

Playing Poker Like The Pros (Phil Hellmuth)
I didn't find this helpful. It's basically an ad for Phil Hellmuth and didn't help me at all. He professes the super tight play methodology, which is ok but not that efficient. I mean, I've only been dealt AA 6 times in ring play since May...

Winning low limit hold'em (Lee Jones)
This was a great first book. Teaches a style looser than that described by Hellmuth in his book, but still far tighter than most other authors. A good start.

Small Stakes Hold'em (Miller/Sklansky)
I'm now re-reading this. I think this book got me in trouble because I was trying to blindly follow a system that doesn't exist. Miller simply lays out the foundations for solid low limit play, but relies heavily on the reader's experience at the tables to help make the appropriate choices when necessary. This is probably the best small stakes limit book out there (IMHO).

Internet Texas Holdem (Hilger)
Hilger seems to profess a style that balances Jones and Miller. A great book with lots of sample hands and examples. I'm going to re-read this a bunch of times too - it's pretty good. Don't let the cover or the title fool you - Hilger's got the goods.

For NL tournament and SNG play:

Harrington on Hold'em Vols. I and II:
These books are required reading for anyone who wants to play NLHE tourneys and SNGs. Volume 1 covers tournament play when the blinds are small and lots of people are in the running (I don't remember how far he goes in this book - read it a couple months ago). Volume 2 is great for teaching you how to play when the blinds are getting gross, final table play, and for your typical SNGs. These books are awesome!

I've also read parts of Super System 1 and 2 and some of Sklansky's Theory of Poker. Both of these books don't seem to apply all that much to the limit games that I play since no one's any good (except for those guys who keep taking my money, that is...). They may help for the NLHE play, but I'm a Harrington fan myself. I do believe that Super System can really help when you've got a good sized stack and want to bully people. Brunson is famous for his aggressive play.

I'm also reading the Psychology of Poker because I want to seem smart...

Hopefully this will help anyone wanting to start their own poker library - I'd recommend all these books (except the Phil Hellmuth one - sorry Phil...) without reservation.

K.