Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-05, 12:44 AM
Bust

BBP Points: 0
Default Heads up in single table tournaments - low blinds?

I've played heads up in single table tournaments at some sites, and the blinds seem to start off really low. Like the other day I was playing a $5 game at thegamingclub and we each started with 1,000 chips and 2.5/5 blinds. I usually like to play aggresively in heads up, and I often find that people playing at these stakes are too passive and I'm able to take advantage of that. However, with these blind playing aggresivly does nothing at the beggining. So what if I'm able to collect the blinds, 5 added on to my 1,000 does nothing. I think blinds should start with at least with the big blind being a 25th of your chips, meaning with each person starting off with 1,000 chips, the blinds should be 20/40. Just my opinion, I'm interested to know what you think.
Old 08-09-05, 08:48 AM
Bubble

Higher blinds when heads-up definitely allow you to play a more aggressive game. My suggestion if you're not happy with the blind levels where you're already playing is to shop around - there's got to be a better structure for the game you want to play. Personally I like the Stars structure - T1500 to start and 10/20 blinds - it allows a good mix of strategies to work.

However, there's a great opportunity for adapting your style when playing with those slower structures. The opportunities for slowplaying, drawing your opponent in, and chipping his confidence away a hand at a time are much greater with the matches which begin with lower blinds.

FWIW, the heads-up section of Harrington on Hold'em Vol. II is very informative. If you don't yet have it, I highly recommend it.
Old 08-09-05, 11:32 AM
Banned

In my few months playing online poker... i have come to realize that the best way to make money quick is by playing heads up high stakes. The odds are better than winning a 500 entrant tourney for a larger prize.
Old 08-09-05, 06:14 PM
Bubble

Send a message via AIM to royalflush525
Default blinds

I like when they start off low, but raise fast like in the tourbo games, to me its more exciting.
Old 08-09-05, 06:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to HammerFan
Lightbulb

I starting all turnaments with all or nothing!!! With firs bestter cards i go to all in and if i won won if i lose lose!!! That is may policy!!!
Old 08-09-05, 08:37 PM
Bubble

Default who

tell me now and be honest, have you ever made bad plays heads up cause you had to go home or the baby needs tending? or who just plays heads-up not caring if you win cause the money is good either way?
thanks
Old 08-09-05, 10:49 PM
Short Stack

FWIW, the consensus among the top pros seems to be that a slow blind structure favors the more skilled players.
Old 08-10-05, 12:59 PM
Bust

Here is a question I have regarding low blinds in and the proper way to play with them. I'm assuming that if the blinds are very low, I should lower my hand requirment for calling. The other day I was playing in a tournament were you start with 1200 chips and blinds started at 5/10. With these kinds of blinds, what sort of hands should I call with? what if the big blind was 20? or 30? Of course it depends how many people are in the hand too. If I were first to act with 10/5 blinds in 10 person table and I had 1200 chips I would call with a J10 or better, is that a good move?
Old 08-10-05, 01:03 PM
Bubble

For a start of a heads up match for me I like to begin slow and tight, usually when blinds get higher I get agressive othe rplayer knowin' I am a tight player and then it will give me an advantage raisin' later in the game lol hopefully it does anyways, but u never want to be bullied and slowly blind out.
tight aggresive play is nice
Old 08-10-05, 01:39 PM
Banned

Default yes speed varies

some sites move so much quicker.. paradise and absolute seem to be the slowest while prima and ipoke seem to be the fastest