Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-05, 02:12 PM

BBP Points: 67
Send a message via MSN to BBP Guru
Diamond Low Limit Strategy

As a beginner to Texas Holdem, the easiest way to start is by playing some low limit online games. This can be a great way to build up experience and learn the ropes of the game, so Id like to discuss some very basic strategy for new players in low limit Texas Holdem.

Read full article at http://www.blindbetpoker.com/strategy/low-limit.html
Old 08-05-05, 08:54 PM
Bust

BBP Points: 0

BBP I don't really agree with you, but at the same time I do. Low limit games are good for every player to experience but will not prepare you for the road ahead.

If you don't know what I mean bare with me, people will play low limit games like its nothing(generally because it is almost nothing). The best way to experience in my opinion would be by playing 5+.50 sit and go's. I'm not keen to the 1+.10 because people will also play like it's nothing because it almost is nothing. Those are just my thoughts- not everyone likes to play sit-and-go's, just play what's comfortable for you.
Old 08-07-05, 11:10 AM
Bust

Default Agreed

Poonz, I would definately have to agree with you about the low limits games. In the low limit games there is a whole buch a chasing going on. In the higher stakes players tend to analysis their cards a little more.

TG
Old 08-07-05, 11:21 PM
Short Stack

Some players might be able to skip starting out in low limit games, but for the vast majority, myself included, I think it would be a mistake to try. It's easy to focus on the bad beats you get in low limit play from chasers and other people who have limited knowledge and/or experience. However, the fact of the matter is that learning to beat them consistently is a great help in building a solid base from which to advance to the next level.
Old 08-08-05, 01:02 AM
Bust

Default Low Limit Strategy

From what I've noticed about the low limit games is the lack of knowledge that most the players have. This can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on how you play it.

In these types of limit games most players are new and/or just playing for fun, which means you have to play even tighter than you usually would. Just remember you can't run over a sucker. If there are 4 clubs on the board there liable to call with just a middle pair, throwing you bluff out the window.

The good thing about playing really tight in these games is that most players don't even know how to read players online so they probably won't even notice that your playing super tight. If you ask the players in these rooms what the word pot odds means, at least half of them couldn't tell you what that means.

Jason
Old 08-08-05, 06:08 PM
Short Stack

Rockytop, I certainly agree with your observations. The only thing I'd add is to be careful about assuming that everyone is clueless. If you do that, the ones who aren't have a better chance of catching you by surprise.
Old 08-08-05, 06:42 PM
Bubble

these type games can be very dangerous to play, they require a lot more patience, whew do they ever lol
RESPECT #1
Old 08-09-05, 12:33 AM
Bust

Yeah, I agree with everything that's been said here. I've tried pushing people out of the pot in low limit games and it never seems to work. I've learnt just to wait for a great hand, and then poeple usually call with bad hands. But I expreience a lot more bad beats in low limit games. Eveyone in low limit games seems to love inside straight draws.
Old 08-09-05, 10:58 AM
Short Stack

its been my experience that low limit has too much chasing and if you look aat the lobby board you often see that final pots are more then those of middle level games which tells me that in low level or limit that more chasing is down ....so when you have people willing to chase the river just to see what it is ...then you have more opportunity to lose with a suckout or badbeat ....I have had much more success at a higher level....the play is better and more cautious .........low level is like playing on the play chip side its great to learn the software how the action buttins work and to get comfortable with the site ...but its terrible to make money ...and another thing to be considered is the rake ....sometimes the rake is high enough that you can win a hand and lose due to the rake......
Old 08-09-05, 12:29 PM
Bubble

In California card rooms they call these games "no fold'em hold'em" - like Rocktop21 says, the suckers just can't be run over. Spend enough time in one of these games and you'll see more suckouts than you ever thought possible, just because no hand is much of a favorite when there are eight to ten players contesting every pot. Morton's Theorem applies to these games. If you've never heard of it before, it's a bit of mathematical theory that basically says the more players there are involved, the more money from each pot will go to the player with the best draw.

The best chance you have at making money in these games is to play hands that have high card strength *and* drawing strength - you'll always have the odds to draw thanks to all the bad players contributing to the pot, but even when you miss your draws you'll still have the opportunity to win by pairing your high cards. The odds are the most important thing here - even if you feel like you're "chasing," the fact is that your calls are mathematically correct with enough other players in the pot. You'll toss away chips sometimes but you'll also win often enough to be profitable.

Like Hayden has noted, though, the rake can kill you here. Try to put those drawing hand profits to good use by moving up levels as quickly as possible. The competition is rarely much better in the next highest level, and the rake doesn't cut into your profit nearly as much.