Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Hand Analysis
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-06, 08:13 PM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to elon05
Default new quiz

A $10-$20 game. You are in the big blind holding the 4c-3c. An early player limps, along with the small blind. You get a free play. There is $30 in the pot and three players. The flop comes: Ks-7c-5h, giving you a gutshot straight-draw and a backdoor flush-draw. The small blind checks. With only two opponents (one who has checked), you bet, representing kings, and having some outs if you are called. Only the limper calls. There is $50 in the pot and two players. The turn is the 2d. You now have an open-ended straight-draw, and only one opponent, who has shown no strength. You bet and he calls. There is $90 in the pot. The river is the 5c. You have nothing; what do you do?
Old 09-20-06, 09:10 PM

BBP Points: 103

It seems there's a bit of a Socratic argument point to be made about this quiz. In the Socratic dialogues, Socrates leads his students down a path of logic to force them into positions where they question their own judgments. His logic is so watertight that if the students accept his initial premise, they get stuck in a conundrum.

For me this quiz is like that. Being given all the plays up to the river, I'm forced to make a choice from a bad position. Therefore, I choose not to accept one of the premises: that I would represent kings when I only had a low gutshot straight draw.

Instead, I would check after the flop and see what happened after that. I would be concerned that the player who simply calls is slow playing a big hand, and if I check and fold (or lose), I get out of the pot for less money.
Old 09-22-06, 06:20 AM
Bubble

BBP Points: 31
Send a message via AIM to cemfredmd Send a message via Yahoo to cemfredmd

At this point since you have represented the Kings, the 5 looks to give you two pair. If the person was calling you on a draw themselves, then the second 5 coming on the board likely didnt help them, except on the outside change they were playing something like A5. I would bet it out, if you check and they check back there is no way you win with those cards. You have to bet it to win it.
Old 09-22-06, 08:22 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 258

Since this is a limit game, the other guy is Pot-Committed and will probably challenge your River bet. The best thing to do is to check and minimize your losses. It is common in Limit games for the LP player to bet-bet-bet, even with nothing. It is equally common for limit players to call-call-call. In the long run, it is best to start with a premium hand or great flop to max out your winnings.
Old 10-03-06, 07:58 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 10

i just think if he keeps checking that he is trapping you, if you had indeed bet on the turn and were called. the most of the time when i bet out on the river in similar situations i get called and of course lose the pot. But i do agree that you have to bet because that is the only way that you can win the pot, its a hit and miss meaning if he has nothing on board he folds and youre golden, if he has hit anything you know you will get called with even the smallest of pairs like the deuce on the river. He cant put you on a 5 for a set and most of all believe that you have ace high, a small pair or just on a stone cold bluff.
Old 10-04-06, 04:40 AM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 2

yeah it seems a slow play for me to..but i think this depends of the game type (loose ,tight) depends on the player...and i wouldn;t bet on flop with those cards i think i've just would of checked ..
Old 10-29-06, 10:21 AM
Bust

BBP Points: 0

its very interesting, is risk to bet but if you do have to do it strong but you could get on a tramp by urself beacuse is may catch a set or a fh and he only call you to get you but the best option to win the pot is betting not extremely big but a strog bet too make think him that you have the K, in other way you will lose and maybe he was calling whit a pocket pair on hand so i probably bet and risk .