Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Professional Poker Players
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-05, 01:35 PM

BBP Points: 67
Send a message via MSN to BBP Guru
Club Phil Ivey

Calculated and cool under pressure, Phil Ivey is the prototypical new generation Poker player. Heralded by some as the ďTiger WoodsĒ of Poker, Phil Ivey is an aggressive, focused competitor at the poker tables. And far from being a one-trick pony, in 2002, Mr. Ivey won no less than three WSOP bracelets, tying the record for most titles in one year. A model of focus and concentration, Phil Ivey is one of the genuine rising superstars of the Poker world.

Read full article at http://www.blindbetpoker.com/profiles/phil-ivey.html
Old 08-05-05, 10:35 PM
Bust

BBP Points: 0

I agree with you in some aspects that Phil Ivey is an outstanding player and is very dominant at the table. However, I have come to realize he along with Doyle Brunson get very bored in tournaments. Resulting in bad plays causing their elimination.

I know this to be true when I watched Doyle make big bets blind in some tournaments and Ivey admitted he gets bored in tournaments in a 2005 circuit event. The show was aired and he had a message therapist on his back the whole time, made it to the final table; got bored and made a bad play causing him to lose.
Old 08-07-05, 11:52 PM
Short Stack

It may be a rather small thing, but I find it hard to think of Phil Ivey as a "rising" superstar. He has been in the top echelon for a few years now. Also, some people may not be aware that he's more than just an excellent holdem tournament player.

For one thing, he's a consistent winner in the biggest cash games. And for another, he excels at a variety of games. Indeed, based on what I've seen from various other top pros, he may be the best all-around poker player in the world.
Old 08-10-05, 06:04 PM
Bust

Phil Ivey is actually my favorite professional poker player right now. The funny thing is, he's the type of guy who would never be able to write a book about poker strategy because his main strategy is just going with his gut instinct on situations. Sometimes, though it can get him into trouble. I watched the new WSOP circuit event from Tahoe the other day. He was killing the whole final table until he went heads up with a 5-1 chip lead and let it all go by calling all ins with draws. And then moving on a bad hand. I still don't know quite what happened to him during heads up play.
Old 08-15-05, 01:25 PM
Bubble

Phil Ivy is one of my favorite poker players to watch, for one reason and one reason only.

If you look at him during any given moment, he never looks like he knows whats going on! To me he looks like a beginner who is looking around trying to figure out if he posts the 'blind, or whatever that thingy is now'. I think its hilarious. Next time you see him on TV try doing funny voiceovers...like when someone bets to him say outloud..

"Uh, ok, I check..? Right?" its definitly amusing for me and my friends, I hope it brings you many laughs as well.

2 minutes later...

"Oh I get it."- Me
Old 08-16-05, 07:10 PM
Chip Leader

Default lol

definitely one of the best players to watch play..

some of u mentioned he's a feel player.. i don't really think so,
his really aggressive, and can play semi decent hands quite well.

although, everytime i see him in like the final tables and stuff, he always loses in a bad beat in my opinion. and his luck with the cards are quite poor. i think he gets chipped away til his shortstacked most of the time , or it seems like it. and when he finally catches a hand, he has to move all in and lose to a bad beat.

along with Gus, definitely interesting players. though Phil Ivey is more Sane compared to maniac Gus

Phil is amazing cuz u can't get any read out of him at all, his pokerface is 10/10. that "wandering" facial expression. only giving a slight faint smile for like 0.1 second. very cool. whether he wins a pot or not he just stays the way he is the whole time. no celebration like those poor amateur players.
hardly says anything either.

i just wish someday phil ivery will win theWSOP, if he does, the popularity of poker would go up twofold i think, with Poker on TV getting double the number of spectators to see phil play.
Old 08-16-05, 10:15 PM
Short Stack

I agree with him having a 10/10 poker face.
This guy looks like hes bored every single time hes playing, like hes not interested in anything that happens.

He wins, he looks bored, he loses, he looks bored, he catches a bad beat, looks a lil bored, lol.

He has no facial expression to anything that happens in the game which gives him a perfect poker face.

Johnny Chan also has a great poker face, very intimidating and very relaxed at the table.

You should make a poll to see who has the best poker face out there.
We are Lions!!!
You know whats there
Waiting beyond that beach
Immortality
Take it, its yours!!!
Old 08-17-05, 12:27 AM
Bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooNz
I agree with you in some aspects that Phil Ivey is an outstanding player and is very dominant at the table. However, I have come to realize he along with Doyle Brunson get very bored in tournaments. Resulting in bad plays causing their elimination.

I know this to be true when I watched Doyle make big bets blind in some tournaments and Ivey admitted he gets bored in tournaments in a 2005 circuit event. The show was aired and he had a message therapist on his back the whole time, made it to the final table; got bored and made a bad play causing him to lose.

Did you see Phil's play at the WSOP circuit that aired last week and re-runned today? It seemed like he got bored when it was head-ups up between him and Lissandra and Ivey had like a 3 to 1 chip lead and blew it. He played every draw and lost and when he had an actually pair in the end (lowly dueces), he treated them as monsters and got caught which costed him about $300,000 in prize money.
Old 08-18-05, 06:10 AM
Short Stack

I saw him in a different match last night... WPT event...

at the end.. his pp6's ran into QQ, and the very next hand, 99 smack dab into KK 3 people at table..

He went all in both times, and both times got called.... made me wonder if he is afraid to play post flop... I've never thought of him that way.... just curious..

I only caught the last 20 minutes or so... my analysis finally ended up being.. he got damn unlucky....
Old 08-19-05, 03:14 AM
Bubble

phil ivey is definitly one of my favorites aswell. He always picks up tells and hes one hell of a player. People are litteraly afraid to be at the same table as he is. In monte carlo millions where he came third he realy was good i remember a bluff with where there were five callers and he managed to bluff himself the pot.