Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-06, 07:36 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 26
Default Suited Cards

I intend to post some discussion topics and would like to start with this one.
First of all let me say I have been gambling on all forms of card game,even some games that most of you will never even have heard off, and also other different game types, for a long time.

I am NOT talking about suited connectors just any old suited cards. Over the last couple of weeks I have seen a lot of players fall victim,myself included, to suited cards. And not because they have made the flush either.

Lets say its early in a tourney, full table,blinds 50/100 stacks 1200-2000.
1st and 2nd fold, 3rd calls 100, 4,5,& 6 fold,7th raises to 450, 8,SB and BB fold, 3rd calls the 350 raise. pot now 1050. The 3rd player holds K4 Hearts. I want to discuss the 3rd players logic in calling the bet with K4 Hearts.( Lets ignore position raises, bluffs, steals etc.)

In a deck of cards there are 13 hearts, there are also 16 premium cards (A-J). If we base assumptions on the average it seems that, when the hole cards are dealt, 25% of the hearts and premium cards will go out. Would it be reasonable to assume that an Ace would be dealt out. The pot was raised so lets say yes. So K4 has, at best, the remote possiblity of an overcard.
There are now only 8 hearts left in the deck out of 32 cards. When the flop and turn are dealt there is a 25% chance of one heart being dealt.
Obviously he needs to catch three for his flush which is, on that basis, a very low probability. Even if he does catch the flush then it may not even be the nut flush.
He has 6 cards to make 2 pair or better which is less than 20% of the available cards. But should he pair his 4 or K his flush chances diminish, and we believe that there is an Ax out there so even his pair kings may be second best.
So we have 14 outs, just under 50% of the deck so he should catch 2 of them. It seems that the flush is a non starter and his 2 pair has less than a 20% chance and all for just better than 2 to 1 pot odds.

Should the call have been made?...Or am I missing something?????
Old 09-11-06, 11:03 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 20

From my opinion, i wouldn't call that raise with K4 suited but he certanly had a logic. Maybe the other guy was playing agressive or bluffing a lot to steal blinds and he saw that. Everyone has his strategy. He calls now for others to consider him a fish and later take advantage of this.
Old 09-12-06, 06:35 AM
Bubble

BBP Points: 31
Send a message via AIM to cemfredmd Send a message via Yahoo to cemfredmd

The call shouldnt have been made. There are far too many ways to get beat. Limping in to see the flop with that might be ok early on, but to call a raise of that much is just fishing for a lucky flop, and has a negative outcome far more then the person would hope.
Old 09-18-06, 11:54 PM
Short Stack

Well I like suited connectors. Most definitely suited connectors with a straight is a great hand to me. I will call a raise if the price is reasonable and depending on how my stack looks I may make looser calls. I mean people always say you call that raise with that hand? I just say they were suited. lol The funny thing about that is if you win with less than subpar cards and beat a huge pocket pair they act like you're the donkey. I mean in reality would you want no calls with a huge pocket pair? If I'm last to act and I have suited connectors I'm in.
Old 09-20-06, 11:53 AM
Bubble

BBP Points: 26

Thanks for you guy's comments.. I myself like suited connectors below 9. they seem to win me big pots on occasion.
Old 09-20-06, 03:54 PM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 0

I dont think you should be assuming anyhere near 14 outs. For instance there are six cards you can catch to get two pair, trips or better. However, just catching one of them isn't enough; you need to catch at least two. What this means is that the six cards represent far less than six outs.

Calling with this hand is not a good play.
Old 09-20-06, 03:59 PM
Bust

Default hey

calling with this hand is a really bad play, too many hands that have you beat, no reason to call with this hand. BAd play to do that.
Old 09-23-06, 07:13 AM
Bust

I think it's a tendency to remember how many times I have been beat, when I have had a monster starting hand, by low suited connectors. And I think it is also a tendency to enjoy the thought of beating a monster with those connectors. But, I believe that over the long run, the reality is the monsters win, I do believe I have punished more for playing those low connectors against my raised high pocket pair than I have been beaten by them.
Old 09-24-06, 07:18 AM
Bust

when i have a big stack i call with 2 suited cards one big one small, never know what can happening
Old 09-24-06, 02:30 PM
Short Stack

Yeah definitely love suited connectors especially if there connected in 2 ways. Straight possibility and flush possibility. It gives you more outs to deal with and helps you if the board looks as if it could be in your favor.