Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Poker Tips/Strategies
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-05, 11:50 AM

BBP Points: 67
Send a message via MSN to BBP Guru
Default Single-Table SnG Strategy

Today I'll outline a basic, relatively tight, No-Limit Hold'em single-table sit-and-go (SnG) strategy that should allow beginners to have a shot at making money every time they play. This strategy is ideal for those playing $5 SnG's and below. First off, I recommend that you play SnG's that have a "slow" structure - that is, one where the blinds advance gradually. Faster structures tend to favor luck over skill, and you really don't want to have to move all-in every other hand on the third level. Next, it's very important to keep track of where the big stacks are at all times - they have the ability to knock you out at any time, so you have to be aware of them.

Read full article at http://www.blindbetpoker.com/strategy/single-table.html
Old 08-07-05, 11:58 PM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 0

It might be worth adding that you shouldn't expect to place every time. On some occasions, you just won't get dealt enough cards. Other times, when you get your good hands, they'll run into even better ones and/or someone will suck ot on you. And there will also be tournaments where you don't do well because you make one or more critical mistakes.

Based on nine- or 10-seat single-table SNGs, a decent target to shoot for seems to be placing in the money (typically, the top three get paid) at least 40 percent of the time.

Also, another thing to look for in addition to blinds that rise slowly is a larger number of chips in your starting stack.
Old 08-08-05, 07:10 AM
Bust

great article on sit and gos.
and Arjonius, great point on
having realistic goals.
one thing...i find i play less
suited connectors as the game progresses.
am i wrong here to mostly looking for big cards??
best,
donvic
Old 08-08-05, 06:51 PM
Bubble

i love sng's but rarely get to play because of classes, but soon i'll be back in em, thx for the article
RESPECT #1
Old 08-09-05, 10:51 PM
Bust

i have a fair amount of experience in online sit n gos, usually 5 + .50. it has been my experience that there will usually be two or three loose aggresive players who will be splashing around early. if you take the risk and attempt to capitalize on one of these players after you have identified them, you can double up early and then attempt to leverage the stronger more conservative players at that point. that being said, my dominant strategy is to wait for premium hands because it seems that 9 out of 10 times you will get action with them as long as you dont overbet them. once you have been called down a couple times and turned up premium hands that you have played strongly, you have set the foundation for creating the illusion of strength with preflop raises, when i do this and isolate heads up, i usually like to bet no matter what on the flop, a little risky i know, but this is after you have hopefully created a strong table image, and if you get reraised it shouldnt be hard to let go if you have nothing, if you get just called, at this point the hand becomes more complicated and you have to analyze your options and opponents before you decide to act on the turn. if its a decent possiblity that your opoponent was drawing with his/her call and you can get a decent read on this, i like to bet the pot on the turn if i have a adecent stack, so that it is mathematically unprofitable for them to call on the turn. if the flop was something like 2 7 A and you get called on the flop, chances are your up against aces or a pocket pair between 7 and a and you should probsaly slow up.
Old 08-10-05, 02:12 PM
Bust

This is a very tidy stratergy for a new player, but I would make one simple addition to it.

It is often a good idea to see with suited pockets early on in the game when the blinds are nice and low, for two reasons,
1. Generally early on in an SnG tourney there will be a good percntage of the table playing tight and trying to get a bead on their opponents. Early on in a tounrey when people are fresh and there is more time between hands, people tend to take more time to analyze other peoples moves. If they see you go in more often than other players they will most likely identify you as one of the looser players at the table, which is good value for the price of a few lvl 1-2 BB.
2. If people identify you as an agressive player there will be more chance of them calling you on your low suited cards..a raise will only invoke your wrath. So youll know if they raise you they are probably sitting on a good hand AND since you add to the number of people calling people will be less likely to go oin with there mediocre hands.. thus giving you a bit more info on their hands. If the flop is nice and low and you hit a pair chances are youll take the pot and you might have the luxury of them sitting on an AK or similiar.. assuming you have high cards only lower and giving you the big raise.

All in all its riskier sure.. but the rewards shurely outway the costs. The hundred dollars you waste on seeing 5 poo flops, should come back to you once you get your first chunky pockets.. there should be more people along for the ride...and theres always the flush chance of course.
Old 08-10-05, 04:46 PM
Banned

Stay away from turbos - And apply Paticence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-05, 08:04 PM
Banned

sit n gos are fun i suggest playing it cool for the start then really putting the pressure on as the blinds increase, i find once the blinds are up the game really starts..... thats just what i think though
Old 08-18-05, 10:14 AM
Bubble

Excellent article...a must read for beginners. I still don't like this notion of high blinds relying on luck, then again, in the context of your article it makes sence.

Anyway, I should probably learn to play more like that and I have been playing the game for years! As i said before a great read...if you haven't read it yet but your reading this, click the link and check it out...best for new players but vetrens can always use a reminder of the basics.

Thanks for writing it up,

2 minutes later...

"Oh I get it."- Me
Old 08-18-05, 10:24 AM
Short Stack

I haven't read the article completely as yet, but... would like to sorta of make a blanket statement...

Do not play to win your SNG's, play to finish ITM consistantly.

Be patient.. this can not be said enuff.

« Flush draw... | Turbo sitngo's »