Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > Tournament Talk > World Series of Poker
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-06, 02:32 AM

BBP Points: 67
Send a message via MSN to BBP Guru
Default Jamie Gold Sued!!!

Jamie Gold, the 2006 WSOP Main Event Champion was sued for half his Winnings....Apparently he had a verbal agreement with Bruce Crispin Leyser, his former business partner that the winnings would be split between both of them.

Eventually he had to split the $12 Million prize with Leyser. Rumors are that 10% of Gold's winnings will also go to Johnny Chan. Jamie took poker lessons from him.

Read the full scoop here.
Old 08-26-06, 07:44 AM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to elon05
Default ouch

wow this defenitely sucks for Gold, but I guess that he will have to pay up. I don't think he ever thought there was any way possible he would ever win the 12 million dollar first prize. Leyser did help out Gold but teh work he did was defenitely not worth 6 million dollars. Gold should have been smart and made so more stipulations for the deal.
Old 08-27-06, 03:59 PM
Bubble

There is a taped phone message that Leyser recd right before the final table that says something to the effect that he didnt have anything to worry about and that half the money was his and that the message would be proof. Bet he wishes he had kept his mouth shut now.

Im fairly active reading poker blogs and playing in the regular poker bloggers tourneys on stars. One of the bloggers mentioned he had a friend that went to college with Jamie Gold and that Gold always had some scam going on. Guess he was as shady then as he may turn out to be now. I dont think he will prove to be a very popular WSOP champion.
Old 08-27-06, 04:13 PM
Short Stack

Based on the information that has appeared on Cardplayer, Pokernews et al - which may not accurately portray the entire situation - it does look like Gold promised Leyser half his winnings. This apparently took place before the main event, in which case Leyser's share could have ended up being nothing, so he was taking a risk by rounding up celebs for Gold with a 90% probability that he (Leyser) would receive $0 for doing so.

On the other hand, I can't help but wonder why Gold would promise (assuming he did) a half share instead of being more prudent and stipulating a cap.

Leyser doesn't look all that good in this either, entering a verbal contract (assuming it happened), with no witnesses and obviously hothing in writing.
Old 08-27-06, 10:06 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 10

well sorry jamie gold fans but i still dont know who the heck he is, and this contrroversy just makes me sick. have ivey and hellmuth winning instead of this clown
Old 08-27-06, 10:50 PM
Bubble

Send a message via AIM to dconnerii Send a message via Yahoo to dconnerii
Default What a nut

Jamie Gold is bad for poker!! Who does this clown think he is? first he tells everyone he doesn't want to win because he doesn't want all the fame and all that...I ask why not??? why not be known as the man to beat the biggest event in poker against the largest crowd for the largest ammount of money? not to mention the one thing that all true poker players want which is the bracelet...me I would gladly take second place money instead of first place for that bracelt...
Jamie Gold is an embarrasment to poker he wins the whole thing and what does he do he hides and now with all this talk about him owing money to Chan and his other partner is just stupid if he owes the money pay it look at dannerman he had a backer and he payed and was happy to do it. I feel that jamie Gold should just take what ever money he has left and never show his face in a poker room again.
Old 08-27-06, 11:00 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBP Guru View Post
Jamie Gold, the 2006 WSOP Main Event Champion was sued for half his Winnings....Apparently he had a verbal agreement with Bruce Crispin Leyser, his former business partner that the winnings would be split between both of them.

Eventually he had to split the $12 Million prize with Leyser. Rumors are that 10% of Gold's winnings will also go to Johnny Chan. Jamie took poker lessons from him.

Read the full scoop here.

That's the stupidiest think i ever heard. How can you make such an agreement???
I think Jamie Gold didn't realize that he might win such an amount of money. It's true that he learned the basics from Chan... but did he learned Gold how toi win the wsop? I don't think so.
One over another this is a big blow for Gold.
Old 08-28-06, 05:02 AM
Bubble

To go into a verbal agreement like that is crazy but if he does have taped phone conversation Jamies losing half his winnings over this.
Old 08-28-06, 05:52 AM
Bubble

BBP Points: 31
Send a message via AIM to cemfredmd Send a message via Yahoo to cemfredmd

Is a taped phone conversation even binding in a court of law? I know that several of my relatives sound like one another, and with technology these days you could likely have anyone say the words into a device and have it sound like whoever you want. I would think you would need much harder evidence then that. If it does hold up, I think it will cause a lot of people to be far more careful about how they make deals about spliting shares of WSOP money. As far as others saying it is bad for poker, I dont see that. It is bad for Jamie Gold if he loses 1/2 of his money, but few people but diehard card players like us will even remember any of this happening even a few weeks from now.
Old 08-28-06, 08:29 AM
Bubble

Im not sure if it can stand up in court but really people going into these contracts need to get it down on paper and not with a handshake or even a telephone call those days are gone people are more ruthless now.