Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-06, 05:51 AM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 22
Default How do you handle the table jerk?

Ok, I copied this idea from the "aggressor" posting because it got me thinking.

I was playing awhile back in an 8 man home game, small stakes, but good players. This one guy was soooo obnoxious. He was breaking every rule of etiquette, and was a complete jerk. Needless to say, I wont be playing any games with this character again, but his endless taunting and commentary on every hand was really screwing with my concentration. I just couldn't tune him out. I ended up making some stupid decisions, and finished 2nd.

So, how do you handle the table jerk?
Old 08-01-06, 06:29 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 0

wear headphones and listen to dr. suess books on tape.. its the obvious solution to this common and reoccuring problem.
Old 08-01-06, 08:24 AM

BBP Points: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriptreysNJ
wear headphones and listen to dr. suess books on tape.. its the obvious solution to this common and reoccuring problem.
Headphones are a viable option, but if you're like me, Dr. Suess books (or anything with words in it) will distract you just as much as Jabberjaws on the other side of the table. I haven't tried this, but I think listening to a CD of ambient sounds, like nature sounds or white noise, would be more helpful for me.
Old 08-01-06, 09:26 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytspeed
Headphones are a viable option, but if you're like me, Dr. Suess books (or anything with words in it) will distract you just as much as Jabberjaws on the other side of the table. I haven't tried this, but I think listening to a CD of ambient sounds, like nature sounds or white noise, would be more helpful for me.

well the dr. suess was a joke. i'm sure he would listen to something less distracting...haha.
Old 08-01-06, 11:10 AM

Quote:
well the dr. suess was a joke. i'm sure he would listen to something less distracting...haha.
I figured, but when it comes right down to it, what's the difference between Dr. Suess' sing songy rhymes and some of the pop music that's out?
Old 08-01-06, 11:20 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytspeed
I figured, but when it comes right down to it, what's the difference between Dr. Suess' sing songy rhymes and some of the pop music that's out?

hmmmm, thats a good observation. i cant see a difference really. and actually, now the book 'hop on pop' makes alot more sense.
Old 08-02-06, 02:45 PM
Bust

If it were me, I'd find the thing that puts him on tilt. Find a nickname for him and keep calling him that for the rest of the night. I'm sure Mike "the Mouth" didn't give himself that nickname. I love to see that jackhole get mad and start betting like a newbie.
Old 08-02-06, 11:40 PM

Quote:
now the book 'hop on pop' makes alot more sense.
Yes. The original title, Hip Hop on Pop, was way ahead of its time, so the title was just shortened Hop on Pop. If the good Dr. Geisel had been given more leeway by the publisher, perhaps the era of Hip Hop would have arrived in the 60s, rather than the 80s.
Old 08-04-06, 09:41 AM
Bust

Default The table Jerk

I'm inclined to agree with Triptreys for some of his answer lol. I've been in a similar scenario a few times in the past, playing with a person who is so arrogant, obnoxious, and downright annoying! It is angering, especially in a money tournament. The first time I played with this individual, I was not ready for his antics, so I did not have headphones, books, or anything to distract me. I had to endure him the first time, but when the next tournament came around, I was ready. I brought my mp3 player, so when he started his usual babble/rant, I put on music from my favourite band (Van Halen) and turned it up everytime I was able to hear him . It worked for me, and I was able to concentrate very well. Unfortunately, I only managed to place second in our tournament, due to a particularly bad beat. But I'll save that story for another Thread lol
Old 08-13-06, 01:28 PM
Bust

Smile i agree with everyone

I have to agree with almost everyones post so far. The way i personally like to handle a table jerk, is a bit different though. I feel that if someone is bullying you around with words or being an arrogant jerk, then you need to become someone who plays back at them. The only way this works is not letting them get inside of your head by use of headphones or any other devices, but also by taking chances to bust them and let your cards do the talking. If you can put a Jerk on tilt then you've got him right where you want him. Fight back with words of abuse *friendly words* and do not allow his self confidence that he once had at the table to rebuild. That is how i deal with a jerk at the table.