Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-06, 03:58 PM
Bust

BBP Points: 0
Default Sitting Out as a strategy?

I don't know why it bothers me but I do not like it when ppl "sit out" as a strategy. Last night, I was playing in a freeroll where there are 10 players on the table and 8 of them were sitting out. It was a new poker site "Celeb Poker" that I was trying out for the first time, so I don't know if this is standard practice at this site or it was a fluke. The disadvantage to me was that I could not really get my pot to grow since everyone was sitting out and it was like playing head to head with the only other person that was playing with me. How can this truly work to someone's advantage?
Old 07-22-06, 11:31 PM
Short Stack

It's rather annoying when most of your table isn't even there. And it's even worse if the other person has position on you and gets to act after you most of the time. You can basically take three approaches. One is to try to be the table aggressor. If the opponent lets you, you'll win most of the blinds. Another is to stay out of each other's way and more or less split the blinds - if you discuss it, it's collusion, although I've certainly seen this done. The third is to let the other player take charge and wait for a chance to trap him with a big hand.
Old 07-23-06, 01:34 PM
Short Stack

I absolutly hate people that sit out. if they sit out from the beginning, hey thats their call...but the ones that piss me off are ones that get like 7-10 grand in chips early and sit out the rest of the event....
Old 07-29-06, 07:36 AM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 40

I just don't get that. Don't these people want to play? Sure, winning is a big part of the thrill, but being in the thick of the action is where it's at for me!
Old 07-29-06, 10:42 AM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 6
Send a message via MSN to ad1129

Sitting out isn't their strategy, they just registered then forget about the freeroll. It happens. Now some ppl on Titan in private forum freerolls sit out to make the money which is pretty g@y but hey its their call.
Old 07-29-06, 02:13 PM
Bubble

Default it is a viables strategy

used by some top pros espically at the beginning of tourneys to avoid the tempations of the anxious players....many top players dont play the first couple of hours....i prefer stiing out first 10-15 minutes of most online games...especailly freerolls or donkey rebuys...it is much easier then to double up on a loose player who has managed to accumulate some chips
Old 07-30-06, 02:30 PM
Bust

if someone actually uses sitting out as a strategy then more power to them.

i guess if you are that bad and that's all you could do to not get eliminated then go ahead and do it.

there's very few games that you could sit out the whole time and actually make it to the money though.
Old 08-02-06, 12:17 AM
Bust

BBP Points: 52

I think the point of sitting out as a strategy is just so that you don't waste your money on crap hands just cause you wanna play. If you have the patience then you would have no problem just folding anything until you get a very big hand.
Old 08-04-06, 09:50 AM
Bust

Default sitting out

Dan, I agree completely with you. Although it shouldn't, it really bothers me when--especially in a huge online tournament--giant groups of people sit out, and stay that way until they are knocked out. But the most annoying thing is when a person builds up a nice stack through a few lucky hands, and then they SIT OUT! It gets to me more than it should, but its not fair. I do not see it as a strategy in any way. In my opinion, it is a coward's way out.
Old 08-05-06, 09:49 AM
Short Stack

BBP Points: 65

Sitting out is most definitly a new strategy i have been working on in the Leagues as many of you guys know. And last night i think i proved i can sit out and still get in the money and some points. If anyone wants any info on how to be a successful sitter outter, let the Drago know. Thank you.

-Drago

To the End!