Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-06, 05:00 PM

BBP Points: 103
Default Playing In Atlanta

So, I'm in Atlanta right now, and noticed a sign on the door of a restaurant close to my hotel that they have poker night (no buy-in, of course; that would be illegal) on Tuesdays. It's part of a Hold-Em league called Georgia Poker Nights, and I'm thinking about going down there to play next week.

This will be the first time I've played Hold-Em outside my home city, so I'm curious what to expect. Does anyone know about any southern poker customs that I need to be aware of? What advice can you offer to someone playing live poker in a new region for the first time?

Thanks!
Old 06-22-06, 10:18 PM
Bubble

BBP Points: 0

Dont make fun of the people's accents and dont call anyone a asshole that is 5 times your size. Beyond that I cant think of anything.
Old 06-23-06, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMc
Dont make fun of the people's accents and dont call anyone a asshole that is 5 times your size. Beyond that I cant think of anything.

Okay, so up to 4x my size is okay, then?
Old 06-27-06, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytspeed
Okay, so up to 4x my size is okay, then?

Well, I played in the Georgia Poker Nights free tourney tonight at Harry's Pizza in Atlanta. It was a blast! The group runs a smooth tourney, and everyone had a lot of fun. There were about 40 people there, and I would say I came in somewhere around the top third. I'll be playing there again next month; all the people were very friendly and it was a pleasant tourney. In the end, pocket rockets plus the board undid my two pair, and I was out.

If anyone ever finds themselves in Atlanta with a few free evening hours, check out Georgia Poker Nights .
Old 06-28-06, 11:54 AM
Bubble

Im from north GA about 3 hours above ATL, And im looking for some trnys to join to get some real table time down. Do the winner win anything, i know they cant win cash but maybe a wal-mart gift card or something ? Can pm me about it thanks..
Old 06-28-06, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez272005
Im from north GA about 3 hours above ATL, And im looking for some trnys to join to get some real table time down. Do the winner win anything, i know they cant win cash but maybe a wal-mart gift card or something ? Can pm me about it thanks..

I did reply to you in PM, but I'm going to include part of the information here, as well, in case there are other Georgians interested in playing.

Here is a link to the tournament structure for Georgia Poker Nights. Yes, they do give gift cards and things like that to the top winner, and the top 8 players each night get points toward entry in a monthly $1000 tourney.
Old 06-28-06, 05:55 PM
Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytspeed
I did reply to you in PM, but I'm going to include part of the information here, as well, in case there are other Georgians interested in playing.

Here is a link to the tournament structure for Georgia Poker Nights. Yes, they do give gift cards and things like that to the top winner, and the top 8 players each night get points toward entry in a monthly $1000 tourney.
Just wondering if its worth a 3 hour drive lol? I mean sure wouldnt mind hitting the place once to actaully get some trny table time down (uset to playing at freinds and online mostely) Is it free and what kind of gift cards? like the amount on them? Just asking you if it worth my 3 hour drive and the gas to come down and play..
Old 06-28-06, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Just wondering if its worth a 3 hour drive lol? I mean sure wouldnt mind hitting the place once to actaully get some trny table time down (uset to playing at freinds and online mostely) Is it free and what kind of gift cards? like the amount on them? Just asking you if it worth my 3 hour drive and the gas to come down and play..

Well, they have multiple locations (lots, actually) where you can play. The place I played happens to be in Marietta, on the NW portion of town. It looks like the northernmost tourneys take place near the intersection of I-75 and the 407 loop, which is where I played. Whether that makes the trip worthwhile is your call, though. I do know that I had a good time, but I wasn't looking for anything other than that, since I can't really be part of their points series.

I don't know the amounts of the prize cards, but one thing I did forget to mention is that points leaders in their tournament compete for a seat at the WSOP.
Old 06-29-06, 08:28 AM
Bubble

Yeah thats cool, Just seems like alittle far for me to drive everytime for point, but wouldnt mind checking it out sometime..
Old 06-29-06, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah thats cool, Just seems like alittle far for me to drive everytime for point, but wouldnt mind checking it out sometime..

I found out yesterday that they are playing again tonight at The Line, which is not far from my hotel. I think I'll go have dinner there and join them for another round.