Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > No Limit Texas Hold'em
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-06, 11:52 AM
Banned

BBP Points: 0
Default Really big hands how to play them

When i pick up aces i usually make a massiv eeaise especially in a freeroll tournament but i was wondering if anyone slow plays them and if so how do you play them and also do you lay them down if you feel like you are beat because most of the time if i have aces and i feel they are beat i will call just for spite and sewe that the were beat.
Old 03-19-06, 12:25 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrag00n
When i pick up aces i usually make a massiv eeaise especially in a freeroll tournament but i was wondering if anyone slow plays them and if so how do you play them and also do you lay them down if you feel like you are beat because most of the time if i have aces and i feel they are beat i will call just for spite and sewe that the were beat.

It depends on my position.
If i have players after me i will make a raise like 4xBB.
If someone raise me before i'll just check and wait for his move.
Old 03-19-06, 01:36 PM
Bubble

It depends where and when you picked up the aces. If you picked it up in a end position good stuff, raise 4-6 xBB. In ring games its another story. Mostly on Titan i see that half the players are fish, you have to push relative hard in the beginning not so hard that everyone will fold but hope for heads up or 3way.
Old 03-19-06, 02:16 PM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrag00n
MAking a big raise is not the way to go with a massive hand. You need to raise 3-8 times the BB depending on the situation in order to get the junk hands out and that way you still get some money if someone doesn't catch. If someone re -raises you, go all in on them so you can get the best possible percentages preflop.

That's probably the way I always play aces.
Old 03-19-06, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijiawu89
It depends where and when you picked up the aces. If you picked it up in a end position good stuff, raise 4-6 xBB. In ring games its another story. Mostly on Titan i see that half the players are fish, you have to push relative hard in the beginning not so hard that everyone will fold but hope for heads up or 3way.

Ya i know in limit they will call pretty much anything i just hate playing limit with fishes cause they always crack those big hands.
Old 03-19-06, 04:55 PM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

Then don't play limit?
Old 03-27-06, 05:21 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 258

I agree with Sensei's basic strategy. I prefer to try and narrow the field to one (and at most two) callers and hope for an uncoordinated flop. Then you would make a bet to see where the action takes you.

If the flop is coordinated (high pair OR two high cards OR Straight possibility OR Flush possibility 3-suited), then be cautious. He probably called with a premium hand. Make a bet and again see where the action takes you. If he pushes back hard, it's probably time to fold.

You would only slow-play if you hit trips and there is a rainbow flop.

Last edited by iceberg : 03-27-06 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-27-06, 06:09 PM
Chip Leader

Send a message via AIM to Yearbookpoker

I just simply play them differently. For instance in the buy in even tonight I got KK one hand. I checked in the bb. A little while later I got AA and raised preflop. Later down the road I got A-Q and raised the most of all of them. As for after the flop making a big hand I do the same. One time I will slow play it and one time I will bet out as soon as I hit it. It's also too based again on chip stacks, position, players styles, etc. Also I use feel when playing all hands and would do the same for a big hand.
Old 04-02-06, 03:50 PM
Bubble

I never completely slowplay aces. I either make a min raise from the small blind to big blind or i make a big raise from any other position. If someone raises big and there are a couple callers I go all in to atleast push a couple out because while it is the best starting hand it is anything but invincible. I've seen the hand being beaten more times than i can count. People really expect too much from the hand. After all it is only 1 pair. No different than having AK and flopping an Ace. I say make a decent raise no matter what.
Old 06-15-06, 01:52 PM
Bubble

Build the pot.

It its rare to pick up monster hands and when you do you need to get paid for them. Narrowing the field is not the way to do it. Several factors go in to making your choices.

First you need to look at the table and the players around you, where you are and where the players that are likely to pay you off are. If you have been at the table for any length of time you should have a good idea on where that player is.

Second you should also be aware of the players that are not likely to pay you off and the kind of action they are giving you. The tighter players at the table are the tougher ones to get to come along but they are not as tough as the loose agro player some times, especially when you are re-raising your loose agro because they will fold.

Lets make it a 6 handed NL table and you have AA in MP. Your loose ATM agro player is under the gun and he makes in 3x the BB to go in the hand. This a spot where you want to just call him. The reason behind this is that you might not be the only person in the hand that knows he is a loose player. The tighter players at the table should be aware of this as well and with them left to act behind you just calling here is a good way to get one of the to reraise. With a re-raise from them they can force out a loose agro or even prompt him to move all in for you. Lets say the Tight rocky player does re-raise, this is great for you because you can narrow him down a top 5 starting hand and more than likely get a call if you move all in behind them on the strength if his hand. BEST case you can get is the rock picking up a monster and the agro picking up the monster in his mind and look at a possible 3 way all in with the best hand preflop.

Now lets reverse it. You are still in MP and Mr. Rock leads at the pot. He makes it 3X to go and you have loose agro to your right. Calling here is also good because Loose man is going to come along with any type of hand building your pot. Raising the pot here is the better option however but with a Rock post flop even with AA is tricky. Since you can narrow him down to a few hands AA KK QQ JJ AKs and maybe AKo and 99-1010, the flop is going to dictate your action a lot more with him than with mister loosey goosey. You opt to raise the pot and the Rock comes along and you see a J-10-9 flop and a pot size bet from Rock. This can mean a few things. KQ is not a hand the rock is going to play to a raise preflop and QQ KK you dominate and AA you chop. Rock could be making a continuation bet here with AK or a legit bet with JJ making you dead to a 2 outer. Now with a Rock it depends on your re-raise preflop to help give you an idea. if you have been presenting yourself with a good image and reraised his UTG raise preflop and he was holding JJ he is likely going to lay it down so you can almost certainly erase the JJ out of the picture (even if he has the set and you move in here so be it just chalk it up to a out of character play for the rock and move on) but giving the fact that we have a good read I am thinking KK which gives him 6 outs and worse is QQ with 10 outs making your hand only a slight favorite. If we go with KK here the move is pot sized bet and let him do the hard work, QQ we are still ahead and moving all in is not a bad play but at a 60-40 we could get nailed. I opt for all in if we think it is QQ simply because that might be the only bet that gets them to fold and even if they call we have them all in with the best of it for us.

Same flop and we just called preflop and loose man came along. Now you are in real bad shape because his hands can have you dead. Lets say Rock does the pot size bet and you call him and loose man moves all in... YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT IN YOUR GAME TO LAY IT DOWN. KQ is a hand that loose man is in on as well as 10 -10 J-10 9-9. If the rock calls you are more than likely beaten with the JJ since you just called pre-flop so you HAVE TO HAVE IT IN YOUR GAME TO LAY IT DOWN. If Rock folds then you come to the moment of truth if you belive your read or are you blind.

The difference between a winning player and a losing player is a losing player only thinks about his hand and a winning player thinks about his opponents