Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Poker Tips/Strategies
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-06, 09:32 AM
Banned

BBP Points: 0
Default Whats your strategy for tournaments?

Say your in a 1500 or 2000 person tourny. Whats your beginning strategy? do you play it extremly safe until you get almost garuntead good hands or do you go balls out and try to bluff and win your post right away?

me personally i play it safe till I land a pocket face card hand or suited face cards then i'll play the hand, anything else i usually fold on until i feel i have enough chips to start taking risks.

whats your strategy?
Old 03-19-06, 10:34 AM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 174

I like to play tight at the beggining when the blinds are smaller because I really dont have any insentive to get involed with a hand when I have a big chips stack compared to the blinds. Then once the blinds raise, if my chip stack hasnt grown to much then I will need to start playing more hands.

Although I have heard that some of the pros (Scott Fishman mainly) talk about just limping in, in the earlier stages of a tourny with less than marignal hands in hopes of hitting a mircal flop and getting a huge pay off. I dont really like this theory becuase I like to save those chips (from when I would have limped in) for when I have a strong hand and I can double up more.

Edit: Right after I posted this I realized the guy was banned. O well thats still my strategy.
Old 03-19-06, 11:03 AM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

I wait for a good spot to pick someone off with an all in. In those big tournaments you usually get a lot of people going all in so I wait for one of them and go in with a very good hand and try to double up early. If I can't get any to do that, I simply play my normal game. Try and mix it up and play pretty solid.

In the later parts of the tournament I try to get more aggresive because the blinds are so big, its nice to take the blinds down every once in awhile.

My big thing is overall solid play. Don't play stupidly and try to make good reads on the other players. If you do all of these things, only BS and bad luck can break you.
Old 03-19-06, 12:04 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekec0
Say your in a 1500 or 2000 person tourny. Whats your beginning strategy? do you play it extremly safe until you get almost garuntead good hands or do you go balls out and try to bluff and win your post right away?

me personally i play it safe till I land a pocket face card hand or suited face cards then i'll play the hand, anything else i usually fold on until i feel i have enough chips to start taking risks.

whats your strategy?

I play most of the big cards and i don't back of to make a big raise.
After i win an all-in i try to calm the game and then if i win more and have like 5k in the first 20-30 min i become agressivly.
After the brake i will see in what position i'm in and then i decide what to do.
I think a game is decided always after the break.
There you will meet the better players and you must be very carefull on the hands.
Old 03-19-06, 02:01 PM
Bubble

I wait for a good hand and push it all in, in the beginning someone is bound to call it.
Old 03-19-06, 02:08 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei24
I play most of the big cards and i don't back of to make a big raise.
After i win an all-in i try to calm the game and then if i win more and have like 5k in the first 20-30 min i become agressivly.
After the brake i will see in what position i'm in and then i decide what to do.
I think a game is decided always after the break.
There you will meet the better players and you must be very carefull on the hands.
I agree. The tournament is made by the time just after break. That is probably the most important time. If you get off firing and get a nice chip lead, you're almost sure to cash.
Old 03-19-06, 02:17 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSgutshot
I agree. The tournament is made by the time just after break. That is probably the most important time. If you get off firing and get a nice chip lead, you're almost sure to cash.

I always intend to finish in top 5.
And after the break i try to play more tight.
Old 03-19-06, 02:35 PM
Champion

Yup, and then once you're in the money you have to get more aggressive so you can build a nice stack.
Old 03-27-06, 07:46 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 258

Heck, in a Freeroll I just wait for good cards or a good flop, then go all-in. Those big Freerolls have a lot of loose players who will call. Try not to go up against a larger stack (unless you have a way above average chance to win) cause you may get knocked out.
Old 03-28-06, 05:35 AM
Champion

I usually play hands like 83o, and 72o in the beginning b/c i'm a big fish, and I can catch any card I need.

^^^ winners!