Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > General Poker Talk > Poker Tips/Strategies
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-06, 04:06 PM
Bust

BBP Points: 0
Default holdem nl strategy

Of late I have been playing the no-limit game more and more, and I am really enjoying it.
I have had some good fortune with people calling big raises, going all-in when I have the nut hand.

The No-Limit game is like the Wild Wild West, people just go all-in and you have to deal with it. To survive in the no limit game you need courage ... no guts no glory.

My Strategy

I play to see the flop as cheaply as possible. Depending on my position I will call/raise with even horrible cards only to check/fold straight away on the flop. If everyone checks don't be afraid to show 4h + 6d which was nowhere even near winning the hand. This will cause players at the table to not be afraid to call you the next time around you raise. What you want is people not to be afraid of you.

If you are gonna use the above method, don't bluff, coz if it works, you will be called.

Now whenever I have a decent hand I still stick to seeing the flop cheaply. You don't wanna give away that you have a decent hand by raising preflop and having everyone fold. This can be risky as people can hit something on the flop, but hey, you can't cover all the angles in poker.

Once the flop is dealt if, and you feel you have something, this is where you have to make it pay .. 5xBlind minimum, 10xBlind and possible 20XBlind if the hand is quiet decent. If you are gonna win the pot it must be big, if there are limpers who are gonna try to catch something on the turn or river, you have to make it tough for them, make it worth your while ... bad beats will happen but the rest of the time you will be collecting. You really need to be aggressive here, and always remember that anyone can just go all-in, be prepared for this.

Don't play too much out of your depth, whe playing on a No-Limit table you have to be able to handle a loss of the entire pot in a few hands. Don't sit down with 10% or higher of your bankroll this will cause you to be too cautious and will make you an easy pushover.

This is nowhere near a comprehensive strategy guide, its just how I play, and it works for me 8/10 times.
Old 03-05-06, 04:24 PM
Bust

Default My stratagy.

Keep pressure on the other guy. I like your stance on seeing the flop foe cheap but that backfires for me to often like having AK u get the k but they get two pair.Also some peoploe play to conservative u can bet them out but if they call they have you.

Some people play too aggressive with them u just wait till you get a hand and if you first you bet small showing weakness, they will usually bet big then I just call then check thats usually when the all-in happens the its just hoping from then he doesnt catch a river.

Playing your opponets instead of the cards is hard but when uyou master it (Which by no means I have) I think you will be a great player if you have any kind of card skills.
Old 03-05-06, 04:31 PM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 174

Not to say that your strategy isnt right for you but I think there might be a couple of problems in it. Like one where you said that you dont want to raise preflop with a good hand in order not to give your hand strenghth away, well what if you have . You probaly dont want to limp in most of the time because that will cause other people to limp in with you and when you have to go agaist alot of opponets with Aces you odds of winning will go down. So I would usally raise with big pocket pairs preflop about 90% of the time.

Another thing is that you dont want to make your bets according to the size of the blinds after the flop. Pre flop this is fine but after you probaly should be looking at the size of the pot when you are decideing how much to bet.
Old 03-05-06, 05:14 PM
Bust

Im dislike AA

Iv been playin cash games and it is the one hand that can have a negative impact on more stack in just 1 hand more than most.

My strategy has been to raise large and reraise if called.

Sometimes after a few reraise each this leads to either myself or the other player going all in.

Iv just lost to TT after they hit a T on the flop.

Now Iv worked hard to get my cash increased and its like a lottery albeit I have a slightly better chance.

Think Im gonna answer my own question but do you think a better strategy would be to call a reraise and have a look at the flop?
Old 03-19-06, 05:41 PM
Banned

Default I Agree

i agree to what you said although sometimes i dont follow the ruiles
Old 03-19-06, 06:46 PM
Champion

BBP Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerlan
Im dislike AA

Iv been playin cash games and it is the one hand that can have a negative impact on more stack in just 1 hand more than most.

My strategy has been to raise large and reraise if called.

Sometimes after a few reraise each this leads to either myself or the other player going all in.

Iv just lost to TT after they hit a T on the flop.

Now Iv worked hard to get my cash increased and its like a lottery albeit I have a slightly better chance.

Think Im gonna answer my own question but do you think a better strategy would be to call a reraise and have a look at the flop?

AA killes me too.
I tried all the strategies.
Some workes better. But i lost with all so i think it's a lottery out there.
Old 03-20-06, 03:05 AM
Short Stack

in early position I limp aces to see the blind cheap...however if someone gets agressive then I re raise to narrown the field. in late position I get agressive immediatly to take down the blinds and just settle for that...if more then one person are in the hand then it seems my aces get out drawn
Old 03-24-06, 08:44 AM
Bubble

I have a question that I am not sure belongs here but I am going to ask anyway. What is the best way to play a A 10 suited? Should I have held it until the flop or folded to begin with? I ended up losing on this hand but I wasn't sure what to do with it when I got this hand. I called and then ended up folding on the turn because nothing came out that even remotely matched.
Old 03-24-06, 09:20 AM
Champion

BBP Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb5565
I have a question that I am not sure belongs here but I am going to ask anyway. What is the best way to play a A 10 suited? Should I have held it until the flop or folded to begin with? I ended up losing on this hand but I wasn't sure what to do with it when I got this hand. I called and then ended up folding on the turn because nothing came out that even remotely matched.

I play this hand because has an A with a good kicker but first of all because it is suited which can bring me a flush with an A high.
Old 03-24-06, 09:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Texas72 Send a message via Yahoo to Texas72

A ten kicker actually isn't that good. It's the minimum kicker that most players will keep an ace with, so that means when an ace hits the board, there is a big chance you're going to be outkicked.

I play AT in late position only - fold it in EP and MP. Playing it there is just -EV. Sure, you'll have the best ace a few times, but you'll be outkicked more often than not. You're really playing this hand to see a flop of AT3 or T36. Plus, trying to limp in with it in EP only means you're more likely to get raised by someone in LP, which could mean a better ace, or possibly a big pair. It's just not worth continually putting in money in those situations.
Whether he likes it or not, a mans character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden

« Tournament question | Slowplayin? »