Blind Bet Poker Forum

Go Back   Blind Bet Poker Forum > Tournament Talk > Poker Tournaments
Register
FAQ Members List CalendarChat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hollywood Poker | Paradise Poker | Inter Poker | Noble Poker | Ultimate Bet | Bodog Poker
Full Tilt Poker - 100% Deposit Bonus UP TO $600 | Titan Poker - WPT Legends of Poker 2006
Doyles Room - 110% Deposit Bonus UP TO $550 | Party Poker - $20 Million in Monster Freerolls

Trackback Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-06, 07:51 PM
Bust

BBP Points: 0
Default Switching from small S&Gs to Multitable

I was doing so well playing one table S&Gs at stakes of $20. to $50.00 buy in and then I fell in love with large mult table Ts on Poker Stars. Now I spend hours and hours playing them just to get back my buy in if I'm lucky. Yet, I love em and can't stop even though it's frozen my bank roll. Not going up or down.

Have any of you guys experienced this? Am I going through a learning curve or just not very good at multi tables. Or with over a 1000 people playing, is it just too much of a long shot to hope to make some real money.

I've enhaled most of the books but after 20 of these MTTs I'm still not really making it. Thanks for any advice you guys can offer

Also a suggestion of one more book which I thought was great: Zen And The Art OF Poker by Larry W. Phillips.
Old 03-04-06, 02:11 PM
Chip Leader

BBP Points: 174

I really dont like playing in tournys of that size because like you said its really hard to do anything but get your money back, beacause you really have to get lucky to win one of them. But Im sure if you keep playing you will get on a card run and make it to a final table. If I were you though I would try to find some tournys were there arent as many people playing so at least you have a little better shot a getting a big win.
Old 03-04-06, 03:24 PM
Bust

I think your on the right track. Your never going to make enough money supporting yourself playing 20 to 50 STT's. Playing the Multi's if you can for the most part break even probably has a higher expectation in the long run. All you have to do is cash large in one of those tournaments and it makes up for a lot of tournaments. Good luck.
Old 03-05-06, 07:43 AM
Bust

Default two tourneys

played again two tourneys and lost
this became a normal routine feature for me
is it time for to stop playing multiple tourneys at a time
or any specific strategy is to be used to be successful
Old 03-05-06, 12:52 PM
Bust

Acorn, true shot, angelskid: I've found a pretty good compromise for now: I'm playing in S&Gs that feature two or three tables with a buy in of $10. or $20. That is at least somewhat of a tournament and the chances of getting some decent payoff are fairly decent. The site I play on, Pokerstars, offers such a great variety of tournaments all day long that it's easy to adjust and find something that works for you.

I'll just keep chipping away at the very large MTTs when I can but for now will play in three or four table S&Gs. There was a Deep Stack on poker stars yesterday with a $30. buy in, a $3200 first prize with only 288 entrants. That seems like a perfect oppportunity with that few entrants.

Good luck guys and thanks for the responses.
Old 03-05-06, 01:47 PM
Bubble

SNGS are better for more experience better players to make money at because theres less chance of taking a bad beat. In MTTS thats where you can hit it big every once and a while but its very hard to go through the whole tournament without taking a bad beat. My suggestion when playing MTTs is really only play premium hands but when u get them be very aggressive.. You have to pick your spots to win those things
Old 03-05-06, 06:40 PM
Bust

That's pretty much my game anyway but it seems that you have to enter the money with a nice big stack. What's been happening to me is that even though I get into the money, I'm usually so short stacked that I'm done pretty soon there after.

Another hardship is keeping my focus and concentration going for that many hours in a row. As you know, in NL one false move and you're down half your stack or worse. So I need to work on my concentration for the longer term.

But the MTTs are much more exciting than the S&Gs so I'll keep pecking away at them while continueing (hopefully) to build my bank roll in the S&Gs. Poker stars has a great Sit and Go of 180 players for a $20. buy in with first prize of $1000. They last about 4 hours and that's what I'm shooting for in the near future.
Old 03-06-06, 12:41 PM
Champion

Send a message via AIM to BSgutshot

I think it's better to play smaller tourneys. If you like MTTs, pokerstars offeres tourneys that are like 5 tables instead of the 20-30 tables as you mentioned. I think that would be better for your bank account.
Old 04-09-06, 05:10 PM
Bubble

hey guys sorry for asking if this is posted elsewhere, but what is an MTT? i see it on titan poker sometimes but i don't know what it means
Old 04-09-06, 05:14 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkiwaters
hey guys sorry for asking if this is posted elsewhere, but what is an MTT? i see it on titan poker sometimes but i don't know what it means

MTT stands for Multi-Table Tournament